Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin People- Fantastic Grass Fed Beef supplier in Spicewood

These guys are in the lake Travis area so I thought I would support a local guy trying to do good things. I'm not normally a huge fan of grass fed beef but I had heard good things and figured I'd give it a shot. I got a 10lb mixed box today and made a simple burger with salt and pepper only so I could taste the beef. I braced myself for the fish oil flavor that comes with a lot of grass fed and not only was it not there, it was some of the best beef I have ever tasted- anywhere. Was absolutely blown away. Anyhow, the place is called Rockin' M Ranch. They deliver around the lake area several times a week or you can pick up at their place in Spicewood. I highlly recommend giving them a try. I'll probably be doing a large share (like a 1/4 or 1/2 cow) in the coming weeks. I think they are $6.50lb including processing when you get that much. I'll post it when I decide to do it and if anyone wants to jump in, you can have some of mine. That will bring your costs way down (they are more like $12.50 lb when you buy 10lb mixed box or less). It is marbled like no other grass fed I have seen. This is 100% grass fed and finished. All free range, no anitbiotics, no meds, no nothing. The quality of the beef really shows.

Highlly recommended from Centex!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hard to find grass fed beef that isn't disappointing.  Not the flavor, but the texture, to me.

Speaking of grass, we had SWAT raid our neighbor's house a few days ago - three houses from ours.  Apparently a couple of college students (don't know them personally, but nice and neighborly, studied on the front porch all the time) decided to grow a few pot plants in their back yard.  Raided by fully armored SWAT and about 40 cops.  Wish I took a picture of the two squad cars with the plants hanging out the back.
    Hard to find grass fed beef that isn't disappointing.  Not the flavor, but the texture, to me.

Speaking of grass, we had SWAT raid our neighbor's house a few days ago - three houses from ours.  Apparently a couple of college students (don't know them personally, but nice and neighborly, studied on the front porch all the time) decided to grow a few pot plants in their back yard.  Raided by fully armored SWAT and about 40 cops.  Wish I took a picture of the two squad cars with the plants hanging out the back.
    The other 2 squad cars had the beer and snacks. Civil forfeiture FTW!
  • Can't wait to try it!!  Thanks so much for sharing the info!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    We may have you do a beef run the next time you make it down to The Swamp. Sounds damn tasty.

And I'm saying it now... I'm not getting into the cattle biz. I don't care how @20stone spins it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    caliking said:
    We may have you do a beef run the next time you make it down to The Swamp. Sounds damn tasty.

And I'm saying it now... I'm not getting into the cattle biz. I don't care how @20stone spins it.
    Man.  I used to think of you as a team player.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2017
    So I've had a lot of ground beef, sausage, and now we had 2 ribeyes.  I did these T-Rex style (sear first down low on Spider/CI) and then went indirect to let come to temp.

This is by far the best grass fed beef I've ever had. Bought 2 briskets today ($200 for 26 lbs- ouch). Making pastrami with one and will SV/Smoke the other. They cut them in half cross ways so there is a clear point and flat. I've asked the to save me the packers from the next one they slaughter in a few weeks. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2017

Rendering the fat cap

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I've always been disappointed with grass fed beef.
    Maybe there are some beef producers that can produce exceptional grass fed beef, I just haven't found any in my area.

Is there any such thing as prime grass fed? generally speaking, the grass fed that's been available in my area tends to be leaner that I would like. Certainly in the low end of choice grade.

Here's some interesting information on grass fed beef. It explains that most grass fed beef is sold ungraded.
    https://joyce-farms.com/blogs/news/here-s-the-real-reason-most-grass-fed-beef-isn-t-usda-graded

Apparently there are a few producers of prime grass fed.
  • GregW said:
    I've always been disappointed with grass fed beef.
    Maybe there are some beef producers that can produce exceptional grass fed beef, I just haven't found any in my area.

Is there any such thing as prime grass fed? generally speaking, the grass fed that's been available in my area tends to be leaner that I would like. Certainly in the low end of choice grade.

Here's some interesting information on grass fed beef. It explains that most grass fed beef is sold ungraded.
    https://joyce-farms.com/blogs/news/here-s-the-real-reason-most-grass-fed-beef-isn-t-usda-graded

Apparently there are a few producers of prime grass fed.
    I have never had gras fed beef that I liked until I tried this. It's probably ungraded but it's marbled and fantastic. My wife thinks they are full of crap. 

• I read the article you linked to and I've had grass fed that looked like that. One was local 100% Wagyu and another was 100% Texas Longhorn (allegedly). Both were super grassy tasting. I would love to try their beef but this is the only grass fed 've been able to work with (for my palette anyway)
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I've never seen choice or prime marble in a grass fed cow. Though, I've never tried a Wagyu grass fed beef before. A buddy raises a few grass fed Angus. He usually splits one with another buddy every year. It's ok, but it's pretty lean. He's offered it to me, but I don't need a 1/2. I'd rather go pick out the cuts I want, when I want them. And that way I can be picky about the ones I buy. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    A grass fed brisket may very well be, the bottom of the beef rodeo barrel.  If anyone can turn it into something magical, it's all you lil' Franklinites.  =)

I've had some grass fed from a couple of farms here locally, and haven't been really impressed quite honestly.

When I go meat counter diving at the store, Fareway, Sams, Jewel, Aldi, Save-A-Lot....I let the choice/prime ribeye or strip find me, whatever looks the best.  Half the damn time, I'll pick up a good steak going in for something completely different.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker said:
    A grass fed brisket may very well be, the bottom of the beef rodeo barrel.  If anyone can turn it into something magical, it's all you lil' Franklinites.  =)

I've had some grass fed from a couple of farms here locally, and haven't been really impressed quite honestly.

When I go meat counter diving at the store, Fareway, Sams, Jewel, Aldi, Save-A-Lot....I let the choice/prime ribeye or strip find me, whatever looks the best.  Half the damn time, I'll pick up a good steak going in for something completely different.

I have one in the pastrami brine as we speak. We shall see how it turns out. Looked pretty good but the fat was funky.