Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE ran out of lump

...After almost 24 hours. The Small really did a great job. Started about 2pm yesterday real slow and brought it up to 350 to roast a couple steaks. Then added the FB 300 and set it to 250 degrees and it went over night with a 9-10 pound butt. Finished off the last 5 hours at 270. Ash started to build up but the FB kept it rock solid to the end. This was a shot at the end.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,895
    edited September 2017
    Food pictures or it didn't happen. :)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,895
    Found them Back to Basics, my mistake. Must be the beer and Baileys Irish.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Kind of a strange burn pattern. KA Basket might have stopped lump from slidding down smoothly.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @Photo Egg - I'm with you regarding the SBGE.  It is a true hacker.  I feed it  the left-overs from the LBGE but it doesn't care.  A great cooker.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited September 2017
    Shoulda added more lump :smiley:)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    That's pretty impressive though. I've run the large for about 30+ hrs once, but never tried going for broke with the small. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    caliking said:
    That's pretty impressive though. I've run the large for about 30+ hrs once, but never tried going for broke with the small. 
    My first XL cooking spree went over 30 hours and still had lump left.
    Good lump and moderate cooking temps will go forever. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Darian - impressive! 

BTW is it just me or isn't your fire ring thicker than the fire box below? In my small the walls of the two pieces are flush.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That is impressive! Longest I've ever gone with my large was 18 hrs at 250°. I think it would have done twice that. And if I had filled up the fire ring...
    Never tried a marathon with my Mini, just short cooks. Wonder what my Akorn will do. It's about the size of a Small.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I've done that with the LBGE. I was at the end of a cook and the temp was slowly dropping. Had the Stoker hooked up and it was trying to get the heat up and the fan was going non-stop. I went ahead and pulled the meat. At the bottom was maybe 4 pieces coal, apparently not enough hot coals to heat the air coming in. Don't remember if I topped off the coals before lighting.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Never got 24 hrs. out of my small but I was cooking in the 270* range. The basket, in my opinion, does nothing. What does matter is the ambient temperature and the density of the lump. I'm a fan of the Charbroil Center Cut Lump. It is very light weight; the best lump for short cooks. The BTU's dumped into the Egg are less than other lump. For a long cook I will use Royal Oak.
  • Photo Egg
    Mikee said:
    Never got 24 hrs. out of my small but I was cooking in the 270* range. The basket, in my opinion, does nothing. What does matter is the ambient temperature and the density of the lump. I'm a fan of the Charbroil Center Cut Lump. It is very light weight; the best lump for short cooks. The BTU's dumped into the Egg are less than other lump. For a long cook I will use Royal Oak.
    My comment on the basket was pertaining to how the lump clung to the side and did not slide down and burn. And the basket DOES take up space so it cuts down the amount of lump that will fit in the Egg.
    I did use Charbroil Center Cut for this long cook. I picked up several boxes on clearance for $5 a box. I bought as many as I could fit in my Subaru.lol
    IMO, what matters is the lump and the cook temp. Extreme ambient temps will play into it some. But normal 30 degree changes from day to night will not change things very much in comparison to lump quality and cooking temps. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas