Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any grilled Gator tail recipes?

Options
I've only fried it before, but am looking for a recipe to grill it in prep for Irma.  

Thanks in advance!
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I've only fried it before
    @thetrim
    By head and shoulders I prefer gator feep fried. But that's just the southern snob in me. Nevertheless, it is pretty darn good grilled as well. 
    As with most things that swim, I like to give gator meat a good marinade over night in cold, whole milk. I do the very same with shrimp and most fish. 
    That aside, season the meat with anything that you like the taste of. I like to dip the meat in melted butter (binder) before seasoning. In my opinion, butter makes just about everything better. 
    My sesoning of choice for grilled gator is cayenne, paprika, cayenne, a wisp of salt, cayenne and lemon pepper. Something about lemon pepper just pairs well with gator in my opinion.
    When I grill gator, I cube it just as I do when I deep fry it. This is of course optional. But it works well for me. 
    Grilling it is pretty straightforward. High heat, direct until the meat firms a little. Gator meat cooks extremely fast as you probably already know. But it's worth mentioning again because over cooked gator is not worth a flip. 
    Once the gator meat is done, I like to give it a hit of fresh lemon juice. Lemon juice is great on fish, seafood, etc, etc. It fairs well with gator also. 
    Good luck with the gator my friend. Hope this helps a little.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Above is what this forum has been lacking while @SGH was trying to search for the holy grail of "In the style of Dixie."  
    So be ready for some enlightening uses for his favorite ingredient...  And that would be...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggscuses
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Above is what this forum has been lacking while @SGH was trying to search for the holy grail of "In the style of Dixie."  
    So be ready for some enlightening uses for his favorite ingredient...  And that would be...

Another
    Nutritious
    Unique
    Something? 
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Many creatures become hyperactive as an intense storm approaches.  Be sure to have strong mitts (like stainless mesh) to hold the critter down while cookin'!!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Have some marinating in Gojuchang sauce w fish sauce lime juice.  Don't think I'll get out today to grill it.  I'll try tomorrow. 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    I grilled it yesterday.  It tasted like $hit and was as rubbery as a tire. That is all!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I grilled it yesterday.  It tasted like $hit and was as rubbery as a tire. That is all!
    How the heck did you make that gator rubbery?  Sheesh.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    Options
    WHO KNEW THAT I COULD F UP A COOK? Even when warned by the ass master a few days earlier.  Dang it!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    thetrim said:
    WHO KNEW THAT I COULD F UP A COOK? Even when warned by the ass master a few days earlier.  Dang it!
    Always remember brother trim, while the Thunder Gods and Brisket Gods certainly rank very high in the in the upper echelon of the hierarchy, it is the Ass Master that is truly all knowing and all seeing. He has more knowledge and wisdom in his Sphincter than all the other Gods combined ;)
    On a side note, sorry to hear that your gator did not turn out. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Little Rock, AR

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    thetrim said:

i ONCE LEFT LAMB RIBS OVER NIGHT WHICH WAS MARINATING IN LIME JUICE AND THE RIBS WERE VERY TUFF.i USE LIME FOR SERVICHE AND IF LEFT TOOO LONG IT WILL COOK AND TUFFIN THE MEAT.. NEXT TIME TRY WITH OUT JUICE EGGCEPT TO SQUEEZE AT END OF COOK FOR FLAVOR.