Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket and Nervous

B747crew
B747crew Posts: 158
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
First time with Brisket and Entire family coming at 5 PM

10# full Prime packer 
Basic Beef rub with mustard base no injection
Clear bluish smoke ( mesquite ).  Egg temp 250.  Brisket on at 5 AM over drip pan point to rear
Going for Internal to 195 - 200 based on temp and probe to check tender
Then Off and FTC 

Any other ideas guys ??? 

Prayer?? LOL

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Bump your temp to 275-300 on the dome, it will put the grate temp around 260-280. This will help finish in 12 hours.  Wrap around 160 to help push it through the stall.

Others will be on soon to advise you too, all opinions are valuable, combine them with what will work best for you!

Most important don't sweat small temp fluctuations, be patient, and rest the meat 1-2 hours after it probes like butter.  Once it's done, enjoy and have good eats!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    I would have probably started it sooner, but hopefully it will come in just in time...don't worry about the stall (it may scare ya)...Need finishing pics....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've wondered how to improve mine, and noted Aaron Franklin mentions that the time from slicing to serving is crucial. If too slow, the slices dry out. He doesn't foil prior to serving, but keeps them in pink butcher paper so they don't loose too much moisture, but don't loose bark from sitting in juices.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    10lb full packer is a little on the smaller side (which will help you in this time situation).

The Cen-Tex Smoker lives in TX and I don't think he uses the texas crutch!  As mentioned abouve, the stall can be scary (hours sometimes) - especially when you observe internal meat temp dropping and you have a deadline to hit.  :wink:

I have a 17lb brisket on right now that I put on last night around midnight.  This morning at 6 the meat was at 156 degrees and the egg was holding steady at 250.  I am not to the stall yet.  I should be eating it for dinner at a decent time.  I doubt you will have to FTC.  You want to let it sit out on the counter for 1/2 hour (IT of meat around 140) before you start slicing. 

Good luck!

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • B747crew
    edited September 2017
    Thanks for the input guys will raise the dome temp to 275 ( wife insists that she wants low and slo but that depends on finish time of course ) I forgot to allow for the " Stall " Crap! When I do a butt I blast through the stall no problem but with this I gather I need to be far more patient

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    B747crew said:
    Thanks for the input guys will raise the dome temp to 275 ( wife insists that she wants low and slo but that depends on finish time of course ) I forgot to allow for the " Stall " Crap! When I do a butt I blast through the stall no problem but with this I gather I need to be far more patient

Maybe. Maybe not. Every hunk of meat is different. Just keep in mind that at 300 and wrapped in foil you can finish pretty quickly. That may not be "Plan A" but it is always in the back of my mind as an option when I'm up against a time crunch. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    I've finished briskets at 300 with no negative impact. Now I just give myself plenty of extra time for the stubborn cow knowing that I can FTC for 5 hours if needed.

XL BGE
    MD
  • So I should cook as long as I can at say 275 and then push up to 300 then FTC if I'm running out of time  ???
  • You'll be fine.  Make a Bloody Mary, put on some tunes, and enjoy the cook.
  • dsrguns
    B747crew said:
    So I should cook as long as I can at say 275 and then push up to 300 then FTC if I'm running out of time  ???
    If you are running out of time, then you can wrap it before the stall to help speed up the process. The "FTC" is for when your brisket is finished and has rested for about 30 minutes on a cooling rack or similar. 

XL BGE
    MD
  • Got it thanks everyone.

• dsrguns
    Keep us posted on your progress. 

XL BGE
    MD
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    If you bump temps to 275-300 like mentioned earlier and wrap at 155-160 you can feasibly be done in 9-10 hours. Depends on the brisky. The earlier the better to allow some hold time. You got it!
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Good luck! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• B747crew
    edited September 2017
    OK guys here we are at 5:45 into the cook.... Flat is at 195 point is probing at almost 215 and all is VERY tender and probes easily. I've been running at 275 since 8:30. This thing is a Prime Packer and I figure its going to be a lot more tender than a choice BUT Heck this is finishing way quick. What to do?? Pull now and wrap FTC then back on later or what? I don't want to dry it out but it sure looks like its getting done quicker than I ever thought. If there is or was any stall I never saw it ..... HELP!!
  • B747crew
    edited September 2017
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2017
    It sounds like it is close to being finished. Once the flat probes tender all over then it is done. Pull it off and let it rest 15-20 minutes or until the internal temp starts dropping.  Then, double wrap in foil. I would use my oven to hold it. If your oven has a "keep warm" setting this should work, or put your oven on the lowest setting. Just make sure to let it rest for a while first.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Looks like it turned out well! I have not done one yet. Giving me hope though as it looks good!
    ♦︎ John ♦︎ Large BGE ♦︎ Topeka, KS ♦︎ My Blog ♦︎
  • RedSkip
    Wrap it in foil, and stuff it in a cooler.  Take old towels and throw them in the dryer, take the warm towels and pack them tight around the brisket inside the cooler.

it will hold for 7 hours or so...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Now towel wrapped in the cooler.... I'll let ya all know how it turned out.  Thanks for all the help and support

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    RedSkip said:
    Wrap it in foil, and stuff it in a cooler.  Take old towels and throw them in the dryer, take the warm towels and pack them tight around the brisket inside the cooler.

it will hold for 7 hours or so...
    This. Prime packers tend to cook faster, and often probe like butter at lower temps. Something to do with the thermodynamics of fat vs muscle. It's done when it's done. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dsrguns
    Well...Did you nail it? Hope your family enjoyed it. Each cook is a learning experience in itself.

XL BGE
    MD
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Looks mighty fine. Just a reminder to cut it against the grain.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• RedSkip
    @B747crew. How did it turn out?  Did the family enjoy it?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Hoping it turned out great fer ya!!!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2017
    Im guessing this turned about well. Has all the hallmarks of a good One to me. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I bet B747 is just in a meat coma right about now, thinking about his next one.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Nicely done!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Thumbs up, double thumbs up!