Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moisture inside new Egg

Options
I purchased an XL a few months ago to compliment the L I've had for about 6 yrs.  The L has been upgraded with a Rutland gasket. I am usually only home on weekends, which limits egg usage.  My issue is that, while my L remains dry and mold free, the XL retains moisture inside on the ceramic and the grates are wet after 4-5 days without usage.  Mold is usually visible as well.  The OEM gaskets are typically damp.  This happens whether it rains or not.  I live in Atlanta, so we have a lot of humidity.  It does not appear that I have any sealing issues.  After use and the cool down period, I open the bottom vent and smoke ware cap to allow for airflow.   This is becoming very frustrating.  Will replacing the OEM gasket with a Rutland fix this?  Any other ideas?  Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    well - you answered your own question with your personal experience having switched to a Rutland.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • havertyj
    Options
    I am a newbie to the Egg family, but do you have a cover for your XL? Or does it get moisture even with the cover?
    ♦︎ John ♦︎ Large BGE ♦︎ Topeka, KS ♦︎ My Blog ♦︎
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I have trouble with mold, too, but usually only if I leave them unused for more than a couple of weeks.  People have claimed, here, and it makes sense to me, that a pretty high-temp burn (600° or 700°, nothing nuclear needed) will prevent mold because it cooks out anything mold would grow on.  I haven't tested that, yet.

I've never had mold in less than a couple of weeks.  And when I get it, I just burn it for 600° or so for an hour or more.  It won't make it all white again, but I figure there can't be anything alive in there, anymore...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I bought my Akorn Jr in June. I think I've used my 8 year old Large egg once since then. I look in there from time to time since it has become a storage container for "stuff" (you know, like a gasser =)) and I have seen no mold, mildew or unwanted critters. 

A couple of years ago, I was out of town for about three months. When I returned, I had a little penicillin growing in there, but not too bad. I just lit a fire for a while, 5-600° maybe, and that took care of it.

The large has a Rutland and I sometimes notice that it's wet. Never any moisture inside though. And it never freezes shut in the winter. Don't know what kind of gasket is on the Akorn. Does a good job though and after nearly 4 months and frequent use, it still looks new.

I never use a cover on the large. More trouble than it's worth, plus even the breathable ones are gonna trap moisture. I did buy a cover for the Akorn. It's a different design and rain gets into the ash collector at the bottom. We'll see how badly the cover traps moisture. Hope it's not bad since the grill is steel. Wish I had a gazebo or something.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• scooter209
    Options
    Both eggs are uncovered.  Both get a clean burn, as needed.  The only difference, other than size and age, is my L has a Rutland gasket.  Do Rutland's prevent moisture buildup, or is this just the nature of a new egg?  It's no fun when you have to do a clean burn every weekend.....
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nope.  It's called humidity and an egg that hasn't been used enough to seal the pores on the inside.  I've experienced this mold one time in 10 yrs and I don't have a Rutland.  Just eliminated that illusion for you.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.