Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Burnt Ends

Options
My first try at pork belly burnt ends.  Here goes!

Caked with Savory Spices Platte River Rib Rub

I added a couple of large cherry chunks. Will run at 250 - 275 degrees for 2 1/2 hours then add the sauce and cover.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in cubing it up prior to cooking. You appear to be off to a great start. Enjoy the tasty morsels!! 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Thanks. This is a modified version of Malcom Reed's recipe.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Looks good bro. Let us know how they turn out. I've been wanting to try this cook.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Yum... waiting not so patiently....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • 1voyager
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have to delay updates until tomorrow. Boss Lady cut her hand instead of an avocado. Lots of blood but she will be okay. She married former a Boy Scout.  :)
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in cubing it up prior to cooking. You appear to be off to a great start. Enjoy the tasty morsels!! 
    Yes Sir!! One day I'm going to cube an entire packer and give it a go
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Yes Sir!! One day I'm going to cube an entire packer and give it a go
    There is an APL recipe for Brisket burnt ends with melted garlic that is incredible if you want to give it a go.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Awesome. Standing by 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • 1voyager
    Options
    Here's the finished product. It turned out great. Next time I'll cut the beast into thirds rather than half. Half a pork belly (4 pounds) is a lot for two people but it won't go to waste.

Time to dig in.

Plenty of leftovers for football today.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Very nice! I predict meat coma!
  • GaryLange
    Options
    That stuff is like eating the finest candy money can buy. I made it once and will again but not to often as it is fat. God was that stuff good though.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Nailed that cook.  Love pork belly burnt ends.  Looks like somewhat close to Malcom Reed's great recipe, linked here:
    http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/  
    Congrats on the cook and follow-on eats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1voyager
    Options
    Yep. It's similar to Malcom Reed's recipe except I use my super secret BBQ sauce recipe.

Leftovers were awesome. Warmed @ 250 degrees for one hour. 

@GaryLange I agree. I'll only make this one or two times per year. OK...maybe three times per year. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @1voyager - you are right about a meat coma after inhaling those groceries.  I make around 8 times/year but mainly as an appeitizer for a home or some invited function.  (Perhaps the reason for the invite?? ;) ).  Regardless, you can seriously overload in short order.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Those look amazing.  I have only ever made bacon with pork belly because I know I'll like something like this a little too much.  I bet a few of those leftovers would make a killer taco.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Legume said:
    Those look amazing.  I have only ever made bacon with pork belly because I know I'll like something like this a little too much.  I bet a few of those leftovers would make a killer taco.
    I agree on the taco idea.

They would also would be great as croutons on a salad!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Nailed that cook.  Love pork belly burnt ends.  Looks like somewhat close to Malcom Reed's great recipe, linked here:
    http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/  
    Congrats on the cook and follow-on eats.  
    How have I missed that recipe?  Holy cannoli that's a must do!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - You can run with the recipe cube size for a base-line but I have found that going around a 1/4" smaller on the size gives me a better rendering.  But I'm no Malcom Reed  ;)  Regardless, the recipe deals serious meat candy and early inhalation overload.  More than worth it.
    BTW- gives me a great counter to the brisket burnt ends crowd.  I will never figure out that attraction.  FWIW-
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - You can run with the recipe cube size for a base-line but I have found that going around a 1/4" smaller on the size gives me a better rendering.  But I'm no Malcom Reed  ;)  Regardless, the recipe deals serious meat candy and early inhalation overload.  More than worth it.
    BTW- gives me a great counter to the brisket burnt ends crowd.  I will never figure out that attraction.  FWIW-
    I'll disagree with you on the latter, as I've only done them once, but I used APL's recipe for them with melted garlic.  That one is flavor overload man - worth trying.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Made some as well last weekend using Malcolm's recipe. Definitely meat coma material. @1voyager, nice job!
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I've done Malcom Reed style meat candy a couple times. It's almost too tasty. You have to use restraint or you can hurt yourself. A long nap after the meal helps  ;)
    Michiana, South of the border.