Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Stacker question

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Looking at getting the Stacker for my Large.  Wondering if the 18" grate would fit. It seems like it would as I can fit my stick 18" grate up into the dome. But it would be a close fit and it would need to be lined up exactly. I think I just talked myself out of it. I have the homemade raised pivoting Stacker with a 15" grate from someone here years ago but like this design better. 
https://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/stacker-and-16-grill-grate-combo
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I can give it a try, I have a demo one in the shop.  I'll lay a 18" grate on top of the 15" and see if it will close.  Give me a few hours and I'll take a pic when I get there.

I do know that you can stack it on the plate setter or the riser (if you have the three notch one, and have it in the notches), and still close the lid.  But you have to be VERY careful swinging it, as it loses a bunch of stability sitting on those legs up.
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks. I'm a big fan of raised direct grilling. And having two levels allows me to move things up and down to get some good char and color on them low and cook and roast up high. Last night I did the veggies in a grill pan under chicken Sausages above. Very versatile. 
    Member since 2009
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited September 2017
    Options
    OK it will work if with dual 18" grates , but there is no room for error.  This is with the lower grate on the fire ring.

Or if you're running a 15" grate on the upper, then you can you the riser or plate setter.  It's not very stable, and the dome thermo is very close, but it works.  If you have a 3-notched fire ring, it give you some room.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    this wouldn't load in the same post, so here's the raised setup
    Options
    Thanks for the setup and pics. I have the older unnotched fire ring. Looks like the 16" is the safest bet. Looks like you have a good store selection there. 
    Member since 2009
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Get the one for the keg.  It comes with a cast iron bottom grill and aluminum top grill and the 18” base fits great on the plate setter or direct. 

http://www.broilkingbbq.com/EU/Australia/accessories/keg/premium-cooking-grate-set.html