Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Flat

Gotbored and just picked 1 up from Costco. Have never done one so any help is appreciated.

Want to eat it tomorrow afternoon so was thinking about putting it on around midnight tonight and pulling it and FTC if needed 

Gonna use DO Crossroads as the rub.

so now someone tell me how to cook it.
Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2017
    What time do you want to eat?  The flats don't take that long, but if you want it at lunch time you could overnight it. 

I would do it like this:
    http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/brisket-flat/

Except I would trim to about 1/4 inch of fat and put rub all over it. Not sure why he only dumped it on one side. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I had read it's 2 hours per lb. so I was thinking it I would put it on around midnight and pull around 10-11 then try to eat around 1-2 but would give me time if it cooked fast or took longer 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think 2 hours per lb is the estimate for a whole packer because they are thicker. My experience is a flat will cook faster than that- more like 1 hour per lb if cooking in the 250-275 range. You can FTC it for a while though or hold it in an oven on "keep warm". If you don't mind staying up later tonight I would put it on just before you go to bed and check on it early. Start probing it with and instant read and if it still feels tough you might consider a foil/liquid stage to finish it off. I don't do this with packers but with flats I like to cheat a little. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Good to know. May just get up early and throw it on then 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    You may want to give this link a look.  It has gotten eggcellent reviews:
    http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/brisket-flat/  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • You can substitute a little Worcestershire and Dr. Pepper for the coffee.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • tclamberth
    tclamberth Posts: 162
    edited September 2017
    Just started her up. Here goes nothing 
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    A great way to start the day. Be patient and let the egg do the work. I'm sure you are overloaded with info but whatever your approach wait for it to probe like "buttah" as they say. Start checking about 190# IT 

XL BGE
    MD
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Low and slow. The cow drives the cook. 205 is a good target for pulling and doing the FTC method, but trust the probe. It needs to be reaistance free.  
    Michiana, South of the border.