Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping..... thirdeye paella question

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was looking at your recipe for paella and noticed you don't use saffron, I thought that it was the one common ingredient among all paellas. Anyway, with your 45 minute cooking time at 375, do you get the socarrat or crusty bottom on the rice? That's the one thing I haven't been able to perfect. -RP

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Safron, no I don't use it. Paella is really peasant food and maybe the Romans and the Spanish had plenty at hand, but I guess I can't taste the difference that 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon makes. (or maybe I jazz mine up too much) I do sometimes use the Vigo flavoring and coloring, but it's mostly for the yellow color. [p]As far as the crusty botom, I figure it depends on what kind of rice you use and how thirsty it is. The extra water I have on hand kind of fine tunes the texture you like. [p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    Options
    thirdeye,
    An interesting read on paella cooking is on this site. -RP

[ul][li]paella[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    AZRP,[p]That is a nice site and what a selection of pans!! [p]About 10 years ago we enrolled in a Spanish cooking class at the local college. The instructors were husband and wife. Kaye (home economics), met her husband Juan (an electrical engineer) while on sabbatical in Spain. Kaye was very organized and a great speaker, but when it came time for paella, tapas and a couple of other dishes, Juan took the lead (claiming it's a man's thing in Spain)and he was a hoot. He made about 5 different versions of paella to sample. All were just delicious. Do you have a favorite recipe?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    Options
    Those pans are really nice, too. Picked up the stainless 14" one a few months ago. Many many uses, including being an awesome drip pan.
  • AZRP
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I've just been making them up as to what I have available. Back to the saffron, email me your address and I'll send you some. I buy an ounce at a time and never get it used up before its expiration date. The flavor is incredible. -RP