Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brats

Options
How long do you boil brats in beer before grilling? I'm just throwing Em in beer today, no peppers, onions or spices. I've done that recipe and it's killer.

Comments

• EggMcMic
    Options
    I typically go about 20 minutes. I have started doing it backwards though and I 'sear' them first, not super hot, but a direct cook to put a little color on the outside and then I put them in a foil pan on the grill (indirect) with beer (and usually pepper and onions) to finish the cooking. I find this way I have to worry about timing less and they are ready in 15 minutes or in an hour, whenever I am ready to eat.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Also if you boiled em first, would you brown em close to the coals or raised at the felt?
  • EggMcMic
    Options
    Personally I go by the felt. I find it is a little more forgiving when the grease (aka. flavor) drips and flares up. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Kent8621
    Options
    try smoking them without beer, great taste and best way to enjoy brats.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Powak
    Options
    EggMcMic said:
    Personally I go by the felt. I find it is a little more forgiving when the grease (aka. flavor) drips and flares up. 
    Came out killer. Boiled for 20 then grilled at the felt for 5 a side.
  • Powak
    Options

Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:
    Done em that way many times. Come out amazing. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Powak said:

Kent8621 said:

Done em that way many times. Come out amazing. 
    That's the way I do it. Johnsonville Original Brats low and slow until they sizzle and squirt. I reserve the beer myself.  =)
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Kent8621
    Options

Sauté the onions with a hint of cayenne pepper and you will be the talk of the town.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Powak
    Options
    Kent8621 said:

Sauté the onions with a hint of cayenne pepper and you will be the talk of the town.

MMMM!
  • EggMcMic
    Options
    Glad it worked out. They look good to me!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Lots of ways to skin a cat, but I've just never found any reason to boil brats.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I never boil... but my favorite is to simmer it in foil pan with hard apple cider for about 20 to 30 minutes....then direct to brown .....  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • havertyj
    Options
    Those brats look good! Call me crazy, but until just recently, I was not a huge fan of brats. My wife loves brats, but I preferred a hotdog over them any day. The past year or so, I gave them another try and enjoyed the taste. Might have to try brags on BGE. Looks like a lot of good suggestions on how to cook them too.
    ♦︎ John ♦︎ Large BGE ♦︎ Topeka, KS ♦︎ My Blog ♦︎
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    FWIW I like to grill them first and then put them finish in a pan with lots of onions, some butter, and a little liquid. You only need enough liquid to cover 1/2 the onions and the brats rest on top. As the onions cook down they release more liquid and it goes to a braise, but the brats are not submerged. I think this maintains more flavor in the brat because it isn't getting boiled out, and the casings have more pop. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I never boil either. Most times I just go raised direct until done. Occasionally I like to brown them good and then into an iron skillet of sourkraut and back on the egg until done.

Yours look great

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Stuss
    Stuss Posts: 75
    Options
    love to see em squirt…...
  • Powak
    Options
    FWIW I like to grill them first and then put them finish in a pan with lots of onions, some butter, and a little liquid. You only need enough liquid to cover 1/2 the onions and the brats rest on top. As the onions cook down they release more liquid and it goes to a braise, but the brats are not submerged. I think this maintains more flavor in the brat because it isn't getting boiled out, and the casings have more pop. 
    I've got to try that.  I've done them the other way that is suggested on the package where they are braised with A little beer in the pan and then a lid put on and cooked for a while. They seem to come out even more flavorful when not boiled.