Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - anonther great fire sale

Options
Today the New York Times is 50% off. 
https://www.nytimes.com

It is a great place to read in depth interviews and reporting on Washington.  Though labeled "fake news" by some, it is the outlet of choice for President Trump and Speaker Ryan for their longer interviews (the former expresses policy statements and the latter "concern" for those policy statements primarily through Twitter).

Egg-related content - The paper version is great for lighting a chimney starter full of your favorite lump. The NYT crossword is a great way to time your cooks. Monday puzzle for steaks, Wednesday for spatchcocked chicken and Friday for brisket*.

PS - the op-ed page will infuriate everyone who reads it at some point. 

* I have never solved a Friday puzzle, but it would take me a long time if I could.
(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
GE induction stove
Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited September 2017
    Options
    People still buy newspapers? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    for puppy training =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    Options
    What's this newspaper thing you speak of?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I can't speak for "people" but I pony up for two electronic subscriptions.  NYT and WP subscriptions have risen sharply in the last 10 months for some reason. 

When the best in depth reporting on TV is John Oliver (and it is), I gotta read a little. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    20stone said:
    I can't speak for "people" but I pony up for two electronic subscriptions.  NYT and WP subscriptions have risen sharply in the last 10 months for some reason. 

When the best in depth reporting on TV is John Oliver (and it is), I gotta read a little. 
    Yup. You do have to pony up to get more than the headlines. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Eggheadforum and Facebook is all you need to know. If you want to go indepth then DVR all the late night monologues. You would then know more than Congress, the POTUS and his cabinet.

I just saw that if you put term limits at 12 years over half of Congress would have to retire. Via Facebook.

• GATraveller
    Options
    Don't forget Yahoo.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I have a WaPo subscription and find that's enough.  I'm glad during these times that someone like Marty Baron is at the helm.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Salmonegg
    Options
    20stone said:
    Note that any NYT physical subscription gets you unlimited online access. I pay for the Sunday paper, use it for the parrot cage, and read articles on my phone all week.  You'd think that the electronic subscription would be cheaper but it's not, or wasn't when last I checked.  This is because the Times decided to present its electronic-only audience as mega-engaged so they can justify a premium price for ad space on the web and app platforms. At first, those ads were all stuff like Sotheby's Real Estate and Cartier watches. Which, fine- if your time's too valuable to figure out how to get a break on the electronic version of the paper, you're more likely to be interested in a $10K watch than I am, certainly.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    I do - four of them. But I'm an old guy used to (and who enjoys) reading newspapers.

However, these days I only get my local paper delivered in newsprint, I switched the others to digital only a couple years ago.

EVERYONE should at least subscribe to their local paper. A good local newspaper is necessary to help keep an eye on local government shenanigans. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Liberal rag...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    We get the Times delivered weekdays and our local rag weekly. We usually pick up a Guardian on Saturday and have an online sub for the Telegraph to do the crossword.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,038
    Options
    20stone said:

Love John Oliver, wishe he would cut the comedy routine and just stick to the reporting.  It is great.  Vice used to be really good, but has gone downhill since Shane Smith sold out to the highest bidder.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,038
    Options
    Here is the reporting and editing we get from other sources:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/irma-devastating-us-emergency-chief-133542792.html

"The FEMA chief said Irma would be only the fourth Category Five hurricane to hit the United States since 19851 and the first since Hurricane Andrew in 1992."

Notice any typos?  They can't even copy Wikipedia correctly.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I have an e-Subscription to the Austin Paper.  I used to have both but I finally weened myself of needing a paper version- prefer reading it on the iPad now.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I'd much rather read a physical paper than surf a news site for sure
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    What, no Playboy subscribers? Certainly some among you must buy purely for the articles.