Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Unused Blackstone Left Outside. OK?

Options
Toxarch
Toxarch Posts: 1,900
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
There is a guy nearby asking $160 for an unused 4 burner Blackstone left outside. There are stains in the top from the trees, water, unknown, etc. while sitting outside. You think that is bad? Hard to clean with a wire brush? Bad idea to clean it? I'd have thought the top would rust, are these OK to leave outside?

Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    its ready to add bacon ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It should clean up alright.  Make sure the burners look good.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    It should clean up alright.  Make sure the burners look good.

Was about to say the same thing.  The griddle will clean up just fine. (Instructions on blackstone's website).   But lift up the griddle and inspect the burners. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't see any rust so I think it should be fine. I am surprised it is not rusty if it was just left out unseasoned...but it looks good to me. I think I would try using a scraper and sandpaper to get the brown sap (or whatever it is) off. 

Here is some info on recovering a surface to give you some ideas:
    https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/griddle-top-recovery/

The one in the pic doesn't look nearly that bad so I don't think it would take much effort to get it ready to season. 

One side note: the article recommends flax oil to re-season. Many here have reported bad luck with flax, so I would go with something else. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 77bronco
    Options
    I think they come from the factory with a protective coating that burns off during the first use. If it has never been used or seasoned that may be why it is in such good shape. Should clean up like new. You will enjoy it. I love cooking on mine. 
  • Toxarch
    Options
    One side note: the article recommends flax oil to re-season. Many here have reported bad luck with flax, so I would go with something else. 

I like using grape seed oil on my CI. It's worked better than anything else I have tried.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That looks pristine.  You should see mine.
    Options

It's hard to believe that has been left outside - that's pretty clean.  I'd media blast it, if you have access.  Otherwise a wire brush attachment for a drill would have it looking new with very little effort.

Phoenix 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I would pass.  Where does he live?  I will go talk to him about it.
  • Toxarch
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. The seller quit responding to messages and then comes back 3 hours later to say that someone else was coming to pick it up for $150. So I guess he didn't want to sell it to me.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Sorry you didn't get it.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    sorry this isn't completely related to your topic but...... i checked brickseek a few months ago for the Walmart 28" special and one of them had 20 in stock.  So I headed over there and didn't see any inside where the other grills are.  Then as i head outside to my car, I see all 20, assembled, sitting on the sidewalk outside (chained to each other) and tops all rusted.  WTF???
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    That is a really poor way to sell a product.  Having said that, surface rust can be dealt with rather easily on the Blackstone.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Thanks for the responses. The seller quit responding to messages and then comes back 3 hours later to say that someone else was coming to pick it up for $150. So I guess he didn't want to sell it to me.
    Gotta love the etiquette of a lot of the classifieds crowd.