Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke ring...

I have an old friend that has a traditional smoker and he does an amazing brisket.  He always gets a really thick smoke ring. He starts his fire with solid oak and only uses solid oak. 

I love my BGE brisket. However, it does not get that thick smoke ring. Is this due to not using 100% wood and starting from the lump charcoal?   Has anyone used pure oak to start with and gotten that great smoke ring?

Thanks. 

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I've gotten my best smoke rings with the dome temp between 275-300
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I suspect it has something to with the shape of the Egg dome.  I've cooked briskets on both an Egg and my gravity feed cabinet with the exact same lump, smoke chunks, cook temp, and process and the smoke ring is so much more pronounced out of my cabinet smoker.  That said I get better consistency on tenderness cooking them on my Eggs and prefer to use them for brisket.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Cold meat makes a better smoke ring. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    How important is a smoke ring?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Nitrogen dioxide from wood smoke plus natural moisture of the meat mixes together and causes the smoke ring.  It can be enhanced by starting with colder meat.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    bgebrent said:

We all know it's not important, but I've got to admit, I like to have one.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    blasting said:
    bgebrent said:

Thank you my friend. I like a good one too, a little. Don't want to see it overemphasized. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nitrogen dioxide from wood smoke plus natural moisture of the meat mixes together and causes the smoke ring.  It can be enhanced by starting with colder meat.
    True, but the gases are nitric oxide (NO) and carbon monoxide (CO).  The color change is in the myoglobin.
    Nitrogen dioxide from wood smoke plus natural moisture of the meat mixes together and causes the smoke ring.  It can be enhanced by starting with colder meat.
    True, but the gases are nitric oxide (NO) and carbon monoxide (CO).  The color change is in the myoglobin.
    That doesn't explain the chemical reaction fleur de lis boy. 
  • bgebrent
    Don't think it matters. @nolaegghead?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I couldn't care less about a smoke ring. But maybe this will help.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    bgebrent said:
    The iron in heme undergoes redox reactions, the oxidation results in a red color.

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • nolaegghead
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Celery salt or Accent applied to meat before the rub can make a pretty "smoke" ring.
    Accent is MSG, I don't think that would create a smoke ring, but tenderquick or prague powder definitely will.  Celery has naturally high levels of nitrite so it does also.
    Rrainman said:
    I love my BGE brisket. However, it does not get that thick smoke ring. 
    My brother, we all have a different interpretation as to what a "great smoke ring" actually looks like. With that said, this, in my humble opinion, is a pretty decent smoke ring. More often than not, a ring that penetrates any deeper than the ring pictured below was obtained by some sort of trickery such as chemical enhancement and/or voodoo. Again, there are some exceptions to the rule. But not many. 

Many folks feel that the presence of a ring, or the lack there off is insignificant. As far as quality is concerned, there is certainly an element of truth in that belief. A smoke ring is tasteless and offers nothing in that regard. However, a nice smoke ring is akin to lipstick on a hot blonde. It's visually appealing. This is simply undeniable. 
    If the above is what you are looking for, I can help you out. If it is not what you are looking for, others might can offer a feasible solution to your dilemma. 
    With the above said, the ring pictured above was not obtained by chemical enhancement, nor the use of any fore mentioned voodoo. Just a good, clean fire with proper management my friend. 

Note on the above:
    If the Lord of the Rings is reading this, may he cast his wisdom and guidance upon us all. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    blasting said:
    bgebrent said:

(insert foreskin joke here, or not)

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    As above, with the BGE the smoke ring thickness is a random event for me. 
    But the smoke ring thread did cause @SGH to surface. 
    Glad you are still around and occasionally drop by the 'ol 'hood.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    As has been said - tenderquick if you really want the smokering.  I have never used celery salt but assume it works just as well.  I used to get all concerned over the lack of the smokering from the Egg.  Doesn't impact the taste at all but for some, they want or need to see the ring to verifiy that is has been smoked low and slow.
    XL BGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    lousubcap said:
    But the smoke ring thread did cause @SGH to surface. 
    Glad you are still around and occasionally drop by the 'ol 'hood.  
    Thanks brother Cap. I'm still not back full time, but I do have a little more time to pop in from time to time. It will be nice to finally be back in full force. I miss cutting up with all of y'all. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691

I've gotten some pretty good smoke rings on my briskets.  I rub with Mickey's coffee rub, usually Oak for the smoking wood (5-6 pieces).  I put the meat on when the temp is about 200 with a fresh piece of wood on top of the lump, then I let the temp slowly rise to about 275.   I am not a real patient guy so I usually foil at the stall.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent said:
    The iron in heme undergoes redox reactions, the oxidation results in a red color.
    I understand the oxidation reaction.  Thank you for elucidating.  What is heme?
  • nolaegghead
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    I understand the oxidation reaction.  Thank you for elucidating.  What is heme?

There are several biologically important kinds of heme:

Heme A Heme B Heme C Heme O
    PubChem number 7888115 444098 444125 6323367
    Chemical formula C49H56O6N4Fe C34H32O4N4Fe C34H36O4N4S2Fe C49H58O5N4Fe
    Functional group at C3 Porphyrine General Formula V1svg –CH(OH)CH2Far –CH=CH2 –CH(cystein-S-yl)CH3 –CH(OH)CH2Far
    Functional group at C8 –CH=CH2 –CH=CH2 –CH(cystein-S-yl)CH3 –CH=CH2
    Functional group at C18 –CH=O –CH3 –CH3 –CH3
    Structure of Heme B
    Heme A[9] Heme A is synthesized from heme B. In two sequential reactions a 17-hydroxyethylfarnesyl moiety (blue) is added at the 2-position and an aldehyde (purple) is added at the 8-position. Nomenclature is shown in green.[10]
    The most common type is heme B; other important types include heme A and heme C.
    Is your hemoglobin A, B, C, or O?  Heme, in medical terms is something very different.
  • nolaegghead
    bgebrent said:
    Is your hemoglobin A, B, C, or O?  Heme, in medical terms is something very different.
    Beats me, man.  What do I look like, a biochemist?!

Check this out:  (the chemistry in horseshoe crab blood)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemocyanin

bgebrent said:
    Beats me, man.  What do I look like, a biochemist?!

Check this out:  (the chemistry in horseshoe crab blood)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemocyanin

Wikipedia, lame.  You are indeed a chemist.  Heme means something different to those of us who are both chemists and surgeons.  See you soon hippy.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    @nolaegghead just change to conversation to electricity if you want to stump ol' Brent.