Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to cook two pork butts overnight tonight to take to a football game tomorrow leaving the house around noon. I was going to do it last weekend, but I didn't have any way to cook indirect. I'm picking up a plate setter today and will be ready to go. My point is that I have talked about my egg so much over the last two weeks of owning it, that I have promised everyone the best pulled pork ever. Are there any good simple recipes or pointers that will help make the chances of me screwing this up as small as possible. I fell like I should have made a practice run first, but I have no time. I guess we'll just see what happens. By the way, how much time per pound should I allow and what type of wood should I use?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    FinallyGotAnEgg,
    I really like an injection in my pork. Just from memory, but I think it's close:
    2 cups apple juice
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup Whats-dis-chere sauce
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tbsp rub (whatever you use on the butt...fine ground in coffee grinder)[p]Heat it up to disolve and infuse, cool and pump in as much as it will hold.[p]I trim the excess fat off (the less fat on the outside, the more bark).[p]Then I rub it heavy (personally, I use Dizzy Dust or Swamp Venom, but I'm biased). Let it sit for a couple/few hours....even overnight.[p]Cook indirect at 250 dome until you reach 195-200 and it starts feelin' like it jiggles. Wrap in foil and rest 1-4 hours in a cooler.[p]Per pound rules are not really helpul to me when it comes to BBQ. A 7 pounder usually takes 14-15 hours, and a 9 pounder usually takes 16.[p]I like oak a lot, but you can't go wrong with hickory, maple or apple.[p]Just some idears. Don't worry too much about not practicing. It is really tough to screw up a butt as long as you cook it long enough.[p]Good luck!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    FinallyGotAnEgg,[p]I think you will be surprised how easy pork butts are to cook and how hard they are to screw up.[p]Here's a very basic setup:
    Mix in a few chunks of hickory or cherry or oak in with your lump and fill up to the fire ring... or mix in a few handfuls of chips of the same.
    Light your fire on the top in a coupla few places, put on the plate setter and close the lid.
    Allow the temp to slowly rise up to your target temp of say, 250 dome. Wait until the smoke gets thin and wispy... not much coming out of the top at all... you might have to wait 45 minutes or more until the fire burns cleanly.
    Put your butts on, not touching, and expect 1 1/2 hours per pound for the cook. When the butts reach 190, give them a jiggle. If they start to fall apart, they are done. If not, try them again at 195.
    Pull off, wrap in foil and let them rest in a cooler for a couple of hours before pulling... that's about it. Good luck![p]john

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Dang, we should compare notes.... heeeee![p]woo

• FinallyGotAnEgg,[p] You've got some solid advice already. Butts are very 'forgiving' and I often put mine in when the smoke is still rolling and temps still near 150*F. My last P-P was excellent, cooked at 225*-250*F dome. I allow up to 2 hours per pound, pull and foil after 4 hours, monitor temp to 195*F, unfoil and back in cooker for 90 minutes to set the bark. If you have some delay prior to serving, wrap in plastic wrap, then back in the foil and cooler until serving time. [p] Be sure to save any of the juices in the foil to add back to the P-P when pulling. That and your favorite sauce and you should be in great shape! I bought a pair of bear claws recently and my pulled pork has terrific texture for any type of eating or sandwiches.[p]Good luck!

• Tom B (EggSport),
    "Bear claws"? Is that something that you use to actually pull the pork? I guess that's my next question, What's the best way to pull pork to make it look like I know what I'm doing? I imagine that there's no wrong way to do it, but I just want to make sure.

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Bearclaws.jpg
    <p />FinallyGotAnEgg,
    Here's what Bear Claws look like. Very handy to have, but not required.[p]Kelly

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    FinallyGotAnEgg,
    The bear claws will work.
    I've used the fork shread method and recently I bough a meat cleaver and I use it to cut the meat into sections after pulling the bone out. I'll smash the meat with the side of the cleaver then give it several wacks rough chopping it. Sometimes I go with a finer chop for sandwiches. Of course those mega chunks of fresh steaming unPP sure are tasty too if rough on the tongue.

• FinallyGotAnEgg,
    I've read on the forum that the KitchenAid mixer with a Dough hook does an awesome job. I've not done this myslef, no mixer :(, but I've told freineds about it and they report good results.[p]rb