Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning Cast Iron vs Stainless Steel

I want to try to season our stainless steel cook pans so have been looking over several You Tube videos.
I find that:
Most recommendations and videos for cast iron talk about putting it in an oven.
Most recommendations for stainless steel talk about heating it on the range top.
Why the difference?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Never heard of seasoning SS. Why would you?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i believe it could be done in the oven the same way. ss fry pans used to have non oven safe handles which may be why on the difference.  the problem i see with the ss is the crazy people trying to make it shine =) they cant seem to help themselves
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Do you mean Carbon Steel pans? I'm not sure seasoning applies to stainless steel in the same way.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited September 2017
    so you dont have to shine them up like the crazy people ;) it actually works well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    My SS grill grates are all extremely well seasoned. Could certainly do the same with pans but then most folks probably wouldn't like the way they look hanging from a pot rack in their kitchen.

No need to keep them shiny!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Thanks nolaegghead. Seems nobody else here knows what I'm asking. I thought there would be many more informative comments rather than the "Don't know what you're talking about" stuff.
    I guess I'll just do the CI in the oven and the SS on the burner.
    Probably shouldn't even mention that I have an induction range top.
    Now... Let the hate messages begin!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    JohnH12 said:
    Thanks nolaegghead. Seems nobody else here knows what I'm asking. I thought there would be many more informative comments rather than the "Don't know what you're talking about" stuff.
    I guess I'll just do the CI in the oven and the SS on the burner.
    Probably shouldn't even mention that I have an induction range top.
    Now... Let the hate messages begin!
    Hate messages?  Over induction?  I like induction - especially for an outdoor burner to be used for deep frying.

I too have never heard of seasoning SS cookware.  

The only tip I'll give is to season your CI outside - a perfect use for that old gas grill gathering dust.

Phoenix 
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    I know that the SS pans at Waffle House used to be a hot item back in the day. I believe they seasoned them, and a sunny side up egg would just slide out of the pan, and they weren't shiny!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Never done it but this article suggests doing it in the oven.

http://the-cookingpot.com/seasoning-stainless-steel-pans/?fdx_switcher=true
    XL BGE
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The non-stick "Teflon" coating on electric skillets is much the same thing as what is made when the fat coating on CI is oven baked.  The difference between SS and CI is that the iron crystals have a more open structure. So lots more fat/oil get into the metal structure. The non-stick polymer bonds more deeply into the pan. The seasoning on SS is a surface film that comes off pretty easily. Prob'ly why most folks don't bother.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    gdenby said:
    The non-stick "Teflon" coating on electric skillets is much the same thing as what is made when the fat coating on CI is oven baked.  The difference between SS and CI is that the iron crystals have a more open structure. So lots more fat/oil get into the metal structure. The non-stick polymer bonds more deeply into the pan. The seasoning on SS is a surface film that comes off pretty easily. Prob'ly why most folks don't bother.

I'd consider the process shown in the video to be more of a pre-treatment than a seasoning.

Calling it a "seasoning" is like saying my windshield is "seasoned" with RainX. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk