Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Beef Rib Fun!

With all the impressive posts about beef ribs yesterday I decided to try cooking some also. Scored Prime Short Ribs at Costco this morning. Packed this morning. Just dumb luck as my Costco is usually sold out of Prime Short Ribs. In fact, there were only two packages.

Rub is a combination of coarse Kosher salt, coarse black pepper and Savory Spice Georgia Boys All Purpose BBQ Rub.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.

Comments

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Nice score. I will be following this one.

XL BGE
    MD
  • You guys are killing me with all these beef ribs. I've got to find some very soon. Looking forward to the results. 
    Snellville, GA

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    dsrguns said:
    Nice score. I will be following this one.
    Thanks!
  • 1voyager
    You guys are killing me with all these beef ribs. I've got to find some very soon. Looking forward to the results. 
    I know what you mean. I've wanted to cook some of these bad boys for quite a while but couldn't find them. Just my lucky day.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    edited September 2017
    Looking greats of far.  I tried making beef ribs yesterday but my Egg had a cracked base and the temps skyrocketed resulting in $50.00 in beef ribs being almost inedible.  Oh well.  Looks like I will be without my Egg for the next 2 weeks waiting on the replacement base so I will have to live vicariously through all of your cooks!!

For what its worth - one thing I do on my beef ribs is after I initially rub the ribs, I use a jaccard on the top of the rib.  I don't go crazy with it but go ove rthe top of the rib at 45 degree angles.  Seems to help tenderize the meat a bit and also helps to get some of the rub through all of the top fat and deep into the meat.  My beef ribs have become way more flavorful since I started using the jaccard.  I took some into work the last time I made them and one of the guys who bbqs quite a bit asked "how do you get the flavor so far into the meat".  Don't know if it is right or wrong but just what I have been doing lately on beef ribs with good results.  
    XL BGE
  • 1voyager
    Running @ 275 degrees for two hours now. Spritzed twice with a blend of white wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and butter flavoring.

• 1voyager
    SPRIGS said:
    Looking greats of far.  I tried making beef ribs yesterday but my Egg had a cracked base and the temps skyrocketed resulting in $50.00 in beef ribs being almost inedible.  Oh well.  Looks like I will be without my Egg for the next 2 weeks waiting on the replacement base so I will have to live vicariously through all of your cooks!!

For what its worth - one thing I do on my beef ribs is after I initially rub the ribs, I use a jaccard on the top of the rib.  I don't go crazy with it but go ove rthe top of the rib at 45 degree angles.  Seems to help tenderize the meat a bit and also helps to get some of the rub through all of the top fat and deep into the meat.  My beef ribs have become way more flavorful since I started using the jaccard.  I took some into work the last time I made them and one of the guys who bbqs quite a bit asked "how do you get the flavor so far into the meat".  Don't know if it is right or wrong but just what I have been doing lately on beef ribs with good results.  
    Thanks for your advice.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    I can see the bones starting to peek out just a bit. This is going to be fun! Really good eats waiting for you. Bookmarked this one. Enjoy the ride.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • 1voyager
    4 hours and still cruising @ 275-280. Internal temp is at 182.

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Coming along nicely. Good pullback on them sticks.

XL BGE
    MD
  • 1voyager
    edited September 2017
    6 hours, 20 minutes - internal temperature of 198 degrees passed the toothpick test. Results were moist and delicious.

Here's a slice for Chef:

What I learned:

If you see one of these beasts at Costco, buy it. They don't stay in the display case for long.

I like to dry brine with coarse Kosher salt for at least 24 hours. After seeing all the great cooks over the weekend I didn't want to wait that long. I packed the meat with salt for 1 hour at room temperature then added pepper and Georgia Boys rub just before cooking. It worked out fine.

Cooked at around 275 degrees. I like to cook at 225-250 but I added the Smokeware cap recently and it seems 275 is about as low as it is willing to go.

No wood chunks. No liquid in drip pan.

As mentioned previously, the spritz was white wine vinegar/Worcestershire sauce/butter flavoring. It adds a subtle "zing" to the taste but I can understand how some people might not like it. Substitute apple juice for the vinegar. Spritz on the hour for first 4 hours. 

BBQ sauce on the side for me. Boss Lady likes hers without sauce.

I would be glad to answer any questions.

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Nailed it. Do you still have one rib left?? I agree with the boss lady on the sauce, after all that "work" I want to taste the beef. Thanks for sharing.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • 1voyager
    1 1/2 ribs left. It's doubtful they will last through today. Thanks for your comments.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Don't know how I missed this thread earlier.  Great cook and result.  Another "brisket on a stick" outcome.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.