Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Franklin's BBQ on fire

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
Last night Franklin's caught fire (est $350k) from an ember. Seems Austin would have had enough rain to put out.....
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mickey said:
    Last night Franklin's caught fire (est $350k) from an ember. Seems Austin would have had enough rain to put out.....
    Texas taking it on the chin this weekend. Sad
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Here's an earlier alertment thread.
    Fire at Franklin BBQ?  Sad day for BBQ-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Watch how quickly other places step in to help him out.  He's lifted everyone up around here.  Can't imagine it will be long.
  • From my understanding, fire was contained to the smokehouse.  The restaurant itself only had smoke and water damages.  Guess he'd going to get the updated smoke shack with fire suppression after all!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Oh man, now the restaurant will smell smokey.

Curious if the smokers survived the fire.

Curious if the smokers survived the fire.
    You would think so. They will probably need a new coat of brisket grease to season them up though. 
  • The thing is the smokers are on the second floor elevated over a storage area.  They had to be lifted into the structure by a crane.  The structure survived, but I am sure they will have to crane them out, rebuild, then crane them back inside - a very costly endeavor.  If he wasn't so land-locked, having a separate pit house would be good and much easier to do.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    It seems John Lewis realized that when he built his place in Charleston. I was just there and got a tour of the pits. Not surprisingly it is very similar to Franklin's in terms of pit size, number, design, etc.  He has a flatter space to work with. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @Foghorn, is Lewis' brisket comparable to Franklin's? Far better chance I'll get to Charleston than to Austin! Thanks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    @Foghorn, is Lewis' brisket comparable to Franklin's? Far better chance I'll get to Charleston than to Austin! Thanks.
    Which CarolinaQ are you?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    I haven't had Franklin's. But I've had a lot of great brisket, and John Lewis is definitely worth checking out in Charleston. It's up there with the best I've ever had. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    @GATraveller - out trolling??  ;)  Look at the post count for a dead give-away and the obvious space in the handle name.  But @Carolina Q  can provide more id info I'm sure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    lousubcap said:
    @GATraveller - out trolling??  ;)  Look at the post count for a dead give-away and the obvious space in the handle name.  But @Carolina Q  can provide more id info I'm sure.
    Who me???  =)  It's still suspect.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Which CarolinaQ are you?
    Wait til someone called @GA Traveller shows up! hahaha

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q

I haven't had Franklin's. But I've had a lot of great brisket, and John Lewis is definitely worth checking out in Charleston. It's up there with the best I've ever had. 
    Thanks. As I recall, Lewis used to work at Franklin, but I don't know if he already knew what he was doing when he started there. Or if he is a pure  Franklin disciple. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    Paging @The Cen-Tex Smoker as I recall he has the Austin BBQ family tree story.  
  • @Foghorn, is Lewis' brisket comparable to Franklin's? Far better chance I'll get to Charleston than to Austin! Thanks.

It is. John Lewis was Franklin's pitmaster when he was called the best bbq in the world and got famous. I've had his stuff several times. He's very good.
  • This is before Franklin had restaurant. The guy in the left window of the trailer is  John Lewis. He was there running the pits when everything blew up for AY-Ay-ron. 

• Foghorn
    @Carolina Q, Lewis' brisket is REALLY good.  On the day I was there it wasn't quite as good as Franklin's as it was just a little overcooked.  It was moist and flavorful but it fell apart just a little too easily - even though they did a good job of slicing it a little thick to minimize that.  I'd give it a 9.5 with Franklin's being a 10 (on this scale, places like Rudy's, Kreutz, Salt Lick which are great Texas BBQ places fall in the 7-8.5 range).  With that said, it was perfect for chopping.  My wife got the chopped brisket sandwich and said it was the best sandwich of any kind that she has ever had.   She got the same thing when we went to Franklin's.  At Franklin's she gave me a bite of it and I still believe that to be the best bite of food I've ever had.  At Lewis' she ate it so fast that she forgot to give me a bite.  That's never happened before.  She doesn't eat that much and I'm a glutton.  I took that as a sign of how good it was.  The pork ribs were pretty good, but a little bland.  They had Wagyu beef back ribs the day I was there that were really good, as was the pulled pork.  

As for the family tree, it is my understanding that Lewis learned from John Mueller and helped Franklin open his restaurant as he learned from him.  Then he partnered with LeAnne Mueller to open LaBarbecue before he moved to Charleston.  

He doesn't normally move as much meat as Aaron although for the eclipse weekend he geared up to that level (100+ briskets/day).  Apparently, they don't man the pits all through each night either as their 4 pits can handle all the meats at one time - vs Franklin when he fills all his pits with brisket from 10 AM to about 2 AM every day, then gets it off to make room for ribs and shoulders, etc.  Lewis seems to have enough meat to last until 10 PM so there's no need for standing in a long line or getting there early.  He also has a good bar with some good local beers so it is much more of a place to hang out.

I hope that helps.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Thanks, guys!! Interesting that Lewis took his brisket skills to Pigs-Я-Us country. Far less beef competition I guess, but I would think, far less interest
    too. If "
    Lewis learned from John Mueller and helped Franklin open his restaurant as he learned from him", I wonder who learned from whom!

Anyway, next time I'm down that way, I'll see what this brisket nonsense is all about. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks, guys!! Interesting that Lewis took his brisket skills to Pigs-Я-Us country. Far less beef competition I guess, but I would think, far less interest
    too. If "
    Lewis learned from John Mueller and helped Franklin open his restaurant as he learned from him", I wonder who learned from whom!

Anyway, next time I'm down that way, I'll see what this brisket nonsense is all about. =)

If you don't like John's brisket, you don't like brisket. It's not as good as Franklin's every time but it's always good. It's top 2-3 on the planet. Definitely worth a try.
  • Carolina Q
    hahaha, I DON'T like brisket... but all I've ever had were the three I cooked! :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Thanks, guys!! Interesting that Lewis took his brisket skills to Pigs-Я-Us country. Far less beef competition I guess, but I would think, far less interest
    too. If "Lewis learned from John Mueller and helped Franklin open his restaurant as he learned from him", I wonder who learned from whom!

When you go to Lewis', do yourself a favor and get your beer first - or divide and conquer with your group.  Even great brisket is best eaten shortly after it is sliced.  The service at the bar wasn't that fast.  I quickly sampled everything before I headed that way and I'm glad I did.

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    Curious as to the time-frame when Lewis moved to Charleston as I had some great brisket at LaBarbeque in Austin last Dec.  
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have been to Lewis's as well and got a tour. That place is legit! 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Lewis BBQ is a nice lookin' place! Incredible outdoor seating under the shade of some live oaks.

Nice cookers. Looks pretty fireproof too. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited August 2017
    lousubcap said:
    Curious as to the time-frame when Lewis moved to Charleston as I had some great brisket at LaBarbeque in Austin last Dec.  

He has been gone over a year but he most likely taught whoever made yours how to do it.  Not sure who is doing it now. haven't to been to LABBQ in a while.

I think he still has some small ownership in LABBQ. LeAnn Mueller (The LA in LaBarbecue and Louie Mueller's granddaughter) was saying he was still their creative consultant and had his hands on everything they do at LaBarbecue.Speaking of LA, they are opening a trailer in Los Angeles in the next month or so. 

• lousubcap
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  Definitely top-notch groceries and no line-got there at 10:50 AM (opened at 11).  Spent a few minutes getting the "tour" of the smokers and talking with the crew.