Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Harvey Day 2 - iron skillet meatloaf

Options
We still have power now but have lost it periodically the past few days. We have a few family members from around Houston headed this way so meatloaf seemed about right. If your wondering why one half looks a bit different it's because I attempted to make half of it Paleo with some questionable non sugar ketchup.  This was actually the first meatloaf I've done on the egg. 350 for about an hour then cover with ketchup and go another 30 minutes. Turned out delicious! A nice smoke ring and very juicy!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks excellent.  On a random side note- do you have a concrete deck? I haven't seen that before. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Looks good. Yea to me the non sugar paleo ketchup may act funky when heated. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    This looks awesome. And I have that same dutch oven. How many pounds of ground beef did you need to fill that? 3lbs?
    Gittin' there...
  • AustinML
    AustinML Posts: 15
    Options
    It looks excellent.  On a random side note- do you have a concrete deck? I haven't seen that before. 
    Yeah - old late 70's Brady Brunch house.  We don't love it but it's lower on the list of updates we want to make to the house.
  • AustinML
    Options
    500 said:
    Looks good. Yea to me the non sugar paleo ketchup may act funky when heated. 
    It actually worked far better than I expected.  There is honey in there so it wasn't completely sugarless.  It was "quick and dirty" paleo ketchup and probably could be improved by simmering it a bit and/or blending it up a bit.
  • AustinML
    Options
    This looks awesome. And I have that same dutch oven. How many pounds of ground beef did you need to fill that? 3lbs?
    I think we did 2lbs-ish but it could easily hold 3.  I'm tempted next time to do it "open air" to get more smoke on it but this was a pretty good compromise vs. a loaf pan.