Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI Question

Options
If I just use this for searing, is there any point in attempting to keep it seasoned?

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Yes, keep is seasoned. You don't have to be OCD about it. Good advice above. Eating off of a rusty surface is the alternative. Not tasty. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    And be sure to use the flip side.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I don't think you need to try and keep that nice black shiny smooth seasoning that many CI fanboys shoot for. If areas of seasoning burn out just make sure to keep an oily film on it after cleaning so it doesn't rust.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    you can just seasoned the side you use......other side will rust but it that doesn't bother you, then just one side is ok.   
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Keep it well oiled and make sure you store it in a very dry place.  That's all you need.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia