Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Total Eclipse of the Hard

Options
124»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    It was a design failure.  There are better O-rings now, like Viton (sp?).  I have used those in some analytical instruments where there are extremely challenging conditions of temp.

But the design was at fault, mostly the culture, as the problem was known, they measured the "safety factor" completely incorrectly, management over-rode engineering warnings, etc.  Same ol' same ol'. 

Viton probably wouldn't have failed, but the design of the assemblies encouraged the failure to be catastrophic.
    There ARE better O-rings now, but that has nothing to do with it.  The joint design was faulty, and NO o-ring could withstand the direct pressure/heat inside an RSRM during burn.  
    The old design was (to use a woodworking analogy) a "Tongue-in-groove", which "bent" when the booster shells were pressurized (dang this would be so much easier with pictures).  The new design was a double tongue-in-groove (again, wish I had a pic) which sealed itself under pressure, in fact the o-rings in the new design were more for ease of assembly, they were not required for flight at all.  
    What's not commonly known is that a few other subsystems were "borderline" too when Challenger bit it; for instance the hydrogen/oxygen engines in the Shuttle itself were occasionally throwing turbine blades on the test stand.  Many things were redesigned/qualified during the RSRM redesign effort.  
    I worked in the Safety/Reliability section of Thiokol from '97 to '99, right after the Shuttle began flying again, and learned an awful lot of neat history in that short time.  I highly recommend "Truth, LIes and O-Rings" by McDonald, one of the senior engineers at Thiokol at the time.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    Options

ive built some pretty high tech things over the years with orings, high pressure and extremely low vacuum. its usually something stupid that makes them leak like a guy dragging a 10 foot oring across a floor in a clean room thinking nothing of it
    I visited the location in the former Ogden Depot where a couple of my coworkers would pull the booster segments apart, and painstakingly pull out the used o-rings, measure them, and also measure any blow-by stains on the metal booster segments; they even used feeler gauges on one measurement (although I can't remember exactly what).  Tedious work!  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Couple of pics of the mountain house we're staying at:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Tenderloin came out ok, I guess:  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    A slider:

@Eggcelsior 's tiger sauce is legit!
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Why is everyone saying kentucky has max totality when the websites say illinois? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina -  time to get back to your regularly scheduled forum stirring mode.  That slider with the main course is an outcome fit for the eclipse and you are just getting ready to go dark.  Great banquet right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

I can't quite place it, but this reminds me of something ...
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options

I can't quite place it, but this reminds me of something ...
    Does it hurt when you pee?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Is that Britney Spears? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options

@texaswig exploiting the solar pattern 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @theyolksonyou....  murder van is the gift that keeps giving. Its just so versatile. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Shoulda used prime rib, a man's cut.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Can you see the sky from the deck? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Can you see the sky from the deck? 
    No we'll be driving a bit north.  There's a big party being put together on this huge lawn in front of a school.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Hope we all get a clear sky. I better track down some glasses by then. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Botch
    Options
    Hope we all get a clear sky. I better track down some glasses by then. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. 
    Good luck, I've given up (refuse to patronize a scalper).  

• JohnInCarolina
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Took a hike out to see the local waterfalls.  It's really very pretty around here:

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Does anyone remember the forum member that was a self proclaimed astronomy geek.  He has some ridiculously bad a$$ telescope and took some amazing pictures with it?  I'd love to see what he has going tomorrow.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina are you in North GA?  I think I saw "Angel Falls" a couple years ago up there.  I'm sure there's only about 1,00 falls of that name in the country.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @JohnInCarolina are you in North GA?  I think I saw "Angel Falls" a couple years ago up there.  I'm sure there's only about 1,00 falls of that name in the country.
    Yes.  We're staying at a friend's mountain house in Clayton.  Should be close to the centerline of the eclipse tomorrow.
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Johnin Carolina.... have been reading this post with great interest given your location and keen sense of all things astrometry related and theories concerning relative hardness.
    Being only 48. 7 miles NE of you ..  I hope for both of us that the old adage about "the sun don't shine one the same dog's butt twice" is incorrect. IF that theory IS in fact correct... we are both out of luck for the eclipse ....today during my overweight English bulldog's morning constitutional ( by the way he is  a grandson of UGA  number 4)  the sun glistened on his posterior.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    tml1230 said:
    Johnin Carolina.... have been reading this post with great interest given your location and keen sense of all things astrometry related and theories concerning relative hardness.
    Being only 48. 7 miles NE of you ..  I hope for both of us that the old adage about "the sun don't shine one the same dog's butt twice" is incorrect. IF that theory IS in fact correct... we are both out of luck for the eclipse ....today during my overweight English bulldog's morning constitutional ( by the way he is  a grandson of UGA  number 4)  the sun glistened on his posterior.
    LOL!
  • thetrim
    Options
    tml1230 said:
    Get a room 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    We had a nice show.  At first it looked like it would be blocked by the clouds, but they cleared out and it was pretty dark.  
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I got a chance to see it really well @ 97 percent. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA