Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

16 Hours for 6 lb Pork Butt

Options
It seem like it took an awfully long time to cook my 6 lb pork butt on my medium BGE. I used my flameboss, cooked it at 235 the whole time. The temperature probe was not touching the bone but it was probably close. I injected it with a mixture of apple juice, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce the evening before. I covered it with Pig Powder. I did not foil. It has wonderful bark and is very tender and tastes great! We are reheating it an serving it at a party today. It just seems like a long time. Any thoughts? (The 3 small dips in the pit temperature are not me opening the lid, that's when it rained)

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Each cut cooks a bit different.  I usually plan for a 12-14 hr cook for the regular grocery store size ones.  I've had some take 20 hrs.  Kinda freaks me out on those long ones.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Always takes a long time below 250. 

Little Rock, AR

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I did a 5lb 14oz yesterday at 250. Took 9 1/2 hours. Pork on the left, lamb on right.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    As above regarding protein cook times.  You can dial it up into the 260-280*F range and significantly reduce the cook time with no impact on your bark.  
    My experience with smaller butts is that their general cook time /lb is higher than larger ones.  I attribute some of that to the higher surface to volume ratio but no science behind that.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The small ones can surprise you. I bought two 5 pounders once. As an experiment, I cut one in half and put all three pieces on my large at 250. Don't remember how long they took, about 8-9 hours I think, but the two small ones took just as long as the 5er. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    The 4 lb lamb shoulder took about a 1/2 longer than the 6lb pork shoulder. It was in the front of that makes any diff
  • Danny Noonan
    Options
    I just cooked 2- 9.5 lb. butts together. Set the Digi Q for 230 and meat temp to 195. These took just at 19 hours and I pulled them at 190 internal due to time constraints. They turned out great. 
  • Laserlarry
    Options
    Thank you all for reassuring me that I wasn't doing anything wrong. Next time I'll do an over night so it's done in the middle of the afternoon.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    6lbs...I would've turbo cooked it.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    There really is no benefit to cooking that low unless it's buying you more drinking time by the grill. Bump to 275° and cut about 5 hours off your cook time and I bet you can't tell a difference in the two. 
    Snellville, GA

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options

Cooked these today.... my new norm is to cook 285 to 300 degrees... these were 8/12 lbs a piece and I put them on @8:15am and pulled them at 4:30 pm... at this temp I never have to adjust anything once stabilized... they were perfect according to SWMBO... no more overnight cooks for me... 

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Laserlarry
    Options
    Update. I did another 6 lb. butt last weekend but cooked it at 265 degrees. It was done (198 degree)in 10 hours. It tasted great.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I go 300-325 after a good apple juice injection and seasoning. Always done in 4-5 hours.   
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I am not in a hurry, so I usually cook at 225*. I have done a single 8 pound butts that took 22 hours, and I just cooked two ten pounders together. One took 12 hours, the other took 14. They all seem to do their own things - quite the individuals.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    There really is no benefit to cooking that low unless it's buying you more drinking time by the grill. Bump to 275° and cut about 5 hours off your cook time and I bet you can't tell a difference in the two. 
    You are so right on this one......... I never do low and slow butts now, I always do turbo @ 350-375 done 5-6 hours and awesome every time.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options

Cooked these today.... my new norm is to cook 285 to 300 degrees... these were 8/12 lbs a piece and I put them on @8:15am and pulled them at 4:30 pm... at this temp I never have to adjust anything once stabilized... they were perfect according to SWMBO... no more overnight cooks for me... 

Were your temps Dome temp? I used the low and slow method on a 8.5 lb bone in last weekend. Started at 11:00 PM at 225 grate and then gradually bumped up the grate temp to 250 towards the end of the cook. I pulled at 3:00 PM and then when I probed with the Thermopen the temps were ranging from 195 - 202. Pulled and FTC for 3 1/2 hours and it was perfect. I will have to try the turbo method sometime to compare.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I am surprised at the quick slowdown of the pit temp.  With that trajectory, I would think it would go on a much larger curve upwards.

Question @Laserlarry, how open do you keep your daisy wheel?
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Dang pig!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow