Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frontier Charcoal -made in mexico-

Options
bigegger
bigegger Posts: 87
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum

Out of impulse picked up a ~34 lb bag for 19.99 at BJ's warehouse without even doing a simple Google search.

Latest  posts ive read online and in this forum was last 2007, 2010 and the naked whiz's review on Frontier Lump is the made in USA type.

-crossing fingers- here just in case they straightened their act up after all these years?

Anyone here recently tried Frontier lump made in mexico?

the funny thing is I go to www.royal-oak.com as shown above and frontier lump is not even shown on that website..kinda sketchy to me but I'll try a burn in my old grill first before I stick any made in mexico frontier lump in my BGE. 
LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island

Comments

• bigegger
    Options
    Opened up the bag of Frontier -made in mexico- lump this morning  to smoke the other half of the 10lb brisket I smoked about a couple weekends ago.
    I smelled the bag and it was different than the aroma of the royal oak lump I also had on hand. I know it isn't all mesquite because ive stayed in tx for 10 yrs and I  definitely know mesquite when I smell it. So far so good as seen below.

Upon start up I didn't encounter any light up problems but a few more snap, crackle and pops than the usual royal oak I use. No strange smells as reported and complained by some reviewers 7-10 years ago. Smoke definitely smells different than royal oak before it started to burn the apple wood chunks I added.
    So far for me this 34lb bag of Frontier Lump Charcoal  made in mexico for $19.99 at BJ's has worked out fine so far.
    No pics of the brisket I'm doing but the ones below. I was comparing the temps of the dome and griddle. It showed a difference of 50 degrees 40mins into the burn 3hrs ago as shown below but as of now minimal difference between the both. 
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    This is my go-to lump, but only because it is convenient. Not a neutral lump, and quite a few chunks that are still wood. Those get tossed in the fire pit. Only a little rock or fired clay. Sometimes quite a lot of chips, though. It's good to take camping.
    Wish we had a source of Rockwood here in central PA.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Kayak said:

Wish we had a source of Rockwood here in central PA.

Any Ace Hardware east of the Rockies can order and have it in a few days using SKU 8400772.

Just a 2-3 miles north of you, I saw on my reports that Hepfer's Ace in Lemoyne has order 6 bags in the last month.  Not sure if that was a special order, or they're stocking it, but they have had bags come through their store recently.  http://www.facebook.com/HepfersAce/

• bigegger
    Options
    a lot of excitement with Rockwood lump..ill try some when I get a chance to go to my local ace hardware.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    bigegger said:
    a lot of excitement with Rockwood lump..ill try some when I get a chance to go to my local ace hardware.

Cool, thanks.  If you're not a rewards member yet, make sure you sign up for them.  They send out "$5 off $15" type coupons all the time.  I'm at my local once a week or so buying little stuff or getting keys made......I still get those coupons quite regularly. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I live in TX and get all my rockwood from PA. Shows up at my door in 2 days. 

• FireCraft, Inc.
    • 1028 Saunders Lane 
    • West Chester, PA 19380

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I've heard it's great stuff! 
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Excellent! Clean smoke here I come!

I'm sure Ms. Kayak will be happy. She's not too thrilled with everything tasting like a campfire.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Kingsford bishes 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN