Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tailgating

Options
When tailgating, how do you cool down your mini?  I was going to put it back of the truck. Just afraid someone will see it and want to borrow it. 

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Huge cup mixed with ice and water.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Tell them they can't.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    partaf said:
    When tailgating, how do you cool down your mini?  I was going to put it back of the truck. Just afraid someone will see it and want to borrow it. 
    I have a 10 foot cable with loops on the ends. I string it up and lock it too my rear bumper cargo carrier. It can still be stollen but someone would need to be a tooting a pair of bolt cutters. Treat it like a Yeti. I don't usually run it after games. I go Blackstone griddle for post game cooks. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Tell them they can't.
    @bgebrent apparently the Blue Mist is a lot more polite when it comes to stealing green ceramic grills than the rest of the SEC. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Tell them they can't.
    Are maybe put up a sign? 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

Cool it down and surround it with Angry Bird plush dolls. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Don't take it. Pre cook pull pork or ribs. Too big of a risk or pita 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I take a MM. I have a KAB for it. Remove the KAB, dump the coals in ash bucket or fire pit, leave open while we eat.
    Not too difficult to work through. Worth it too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I take my large, but put it in my Flex, which is enclosed. I pull all the charcoal and dump water on it. The large cools down in about 30 minutes to "warm to touch", maybe bathwater-warm.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    stike drains his cooler water into his egg at tailgates. Wish I could find the pic he posted. For those concerned about thermal shock, what happens when you're doing a high temp cook and it starts to rain? Or snow? Nothing you say? Hmm...

Personally, I'd take a Smokey Joe or an Akorn Jr. Both are steel, both are cheap, both cook well. It's only a couple months old, but I LOVE my Akorn Jr. It's a cheap ($74 if Walmart still has any) replacement for my broken Mini. Lot more grid space too. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    stike drains his cooler water into his egg at tailgates. Wish I could find the pic he posted. For those concerned about thermal shock, what happens when you're doing a high temp cook and it starts to rain? Or snow? Nothing you say? Hmm...

Personally, I'd take a Smokey Joe or an Akorn Jr. Both are steel, both are cheap, both cook well. It's only a couple months old, but I LOVE my Akorn Jr. It's a cheap ($74 if Walmart still has any) replacement for my broken Mini. Lot more grid space too. 
    Yep. My Akorn will be the new tailgater. I precook most stuff and just do burgers/sausage/wings fresh. Should be more than adequate.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I have found that for tailgate parties that have 30 or more guests, rock star status is achieved with pulled  pork and or brisket....for the size of crowd I deal with usually at az cards games or asu games, its usually 2 shoulders (8 lbs each) and 2 whole packers about 14 lb each trimmed.   Never have leftovers and i start it all on bge the night before, cook for 18-23 hrs.  Wrap in foil, throw in disposable Styrofoam cooler seal up outside with plastic garbage bag just to be safe  and by the time I arrive at stadium, the pork is perfect, the brisket is even better and all that food stays hot for many hours until its ready to shred or slice.   My crew has all the other stuff like sides, buns sauce tables cutting boards and knives for slicing so I Show up with meat and then make magic.   I have done same with baby backs with similar results.    The point of all this is that unless you're making burgers, shrimp boil or steaks or za for tailgating, smoked ahead of time is way to go and like @ Eggcelsior says above, cooking ahead of time makes sense.

Now, I have 2 uuni. Ovens and have to get propane adapters as that's all that's allowed in the spots where i tailgate so I have to step away from principle here and burn propane if I want to make pizza for the games...this fall we will make it happen...
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Might i also suggest you subscribe to this periodical....the digital version is free i believe.....I take the printed as well. Great recipes and tailgate recommendationshttps://tailgatermagazine.com/ .

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @northGAcock, I never knew such a thing existed. Thanks for posting!
  • northGAcock
    Options
    @northGAcock, I never knew such a thing existed. Thanks for posting!
    They have a lot of gadgets, grills etc....that is great reading for both tailgating and home-gating. My favorite subscription....since my wife want let me get Playboy. =)

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I cant say enough good about this grill for portability:

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-1211001-Jumbo-18-Inch-Portable/dp/B0098HR0RC/

I have two, and they fit in a trunk well.  I dump the coal and ashes into a locking lid garbage can when done cooking (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Behrens-6-Gallon-Galvanized-Steel-Trash-Can-with-Lid/3473839), and leave that sealed until its time to go.  Usually its cold when we are ready, and the two jumbo joes are cool to the touch for a long time at that point.