Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Internal temp question

Options
Gym
Gym Posts: 366
Hey all
I'm cooking a stuffed (butterflied) pork tenderloin for dinner tonight. My question is when I check for internal temp with therma pen, if it is inserted into the filling in the center and not the meat, is it still accurate as to the meats actual temperature?

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    If I'm understanding your question correctly, inserting the thermapen into the filling will only give you the temp of the filling, not the surrounding meat. The temp sensor is in the tip of the probe. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    I would guess the meat. Someone with more experience might chime in. I will be following this as I want to do one myself. Please post your cook. Good luck.

XL BGE
    MD
  • Gym
    Options
    I understand it only takes the temp on the tip of the pen. Just to clarify, I want to be sure that if the filling is 145 (for example) then the meat should also be that temp. 
    It's a slight variation of @brisket_fanatic "pork cordon Swiss". It looked so good I have to give it a try!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    "Pokes" are cheap, why not take several readings to get a general idea rather than just one and then try to guess?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The meat. Definitely. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Seems to me, every cook book from the pre-inter-web-era suggested checking the temp of a stuffed turkey by inserting a thermo into the centre of the stuffing, hence when the stuff is up to target temp, the meat surrounding it was also up to temp (or well above target temp). Overcooked turkey is one reason why few folks stuff turkey anymore.

If your stuffed loin stuffing is at 145ºF, the surrounding meat would be at +145ºF by a few degrees as the stuffing must be heated "through the meat". If you were roasting at temps close to 400ºF, I think the meat might be as high as 155-165ºF when the stuffing reaches 145ºF. If you are roasting at 300ºF, the meat might be at 150-155ºF when the stuffing hits 145ºF. 

II think the drawback to stuffing is the sometimes overlooking of the surrounding meat, to get the stuffing up to temp. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    If you slowly ease the thermo into the center of the pork and watch the display you will get the temperature gradient from the outer edge to the center-thus you can decide how to proceed.  FWIS-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    It would depend on what you're stuffing it with. If everything in the stuffing is edible before you stuff it in I would only be concerned with the temperature of the meat. If there is something raw in your stuffing that needs to cook to be sanitary then I would be checking the stuffing temp.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Gym
    Options
    Just Swiss cheese in the center. I will try partially inserting probe, or inserting slowly and see what the temp reads. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    It would depend on what you're stuffing it with. If everything in the stuffing is edible before you stuff it in I would only be concerned with the temperature of the meat. If there is something raw in your stuffing that needs to cook to be sanitary then I would be checking the stuffing temp.
    If your cooking temp is related to food safety, even if the stuffing was "safe" before you stuffed it, it's going to be contaminated with juices from the surrounding meat and you should consider it "meat".
    Options
    So it turned out pretty well. I cooked at 300 with plate setter for about an hour with some apple chunks. Gradually inserting the therma pen worked well to check the internal temp. This is the perfect example of why the thermapen is such a handy tool! I cooked a second tenderloin for jambalaya later this week. I'll post a couple pics. Thanks @brisket_fanatic for the idea!
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Looks good. I like the idea of a quick cook.

XL BGE
    MD