Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Beef Back?

Hey Eggers - Haven't done Beef Back Ribs on the LBGE yet... tomorrow is maiden voyage.  Just rubbed with Dizzy Pig Red Eye.  Can I do turbo method, like I do with my Spare Ribs?  No particular time crunch, but hoping to be done in ~3 hours.  Don't like foil.  Lay it on me!  
My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
LBGE in Arlington, VA
God Bless America!

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2017
    Beef ribs - you need time to render the fat and get them tender. I don't recommend turbo. 

Here's how I cook them:

Smoke at 250-275, looking for 185 IT to probe tender.

Put them into a covered pan with a shallow bath of beef broth, butter and Worcestershire sauce for about an hour and serve. The pan sauce is killer over the ribs. 

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • No turbo. 

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited August 2017
    As above, don't know of anyone running turbo, but someone's gotta jump into the pool.  If you really are time constrained and have to do beef backs in a tight window (figuring you paid a dear price for them) I would make sure there is minimal to no sugar in the rub and go for it.  As long as you don't overly crisp/char the outside and go with the tooth-pick for the feel you should be able to pull it off.  FWIW-
    Edit:  Easy for me to offer your ribs for a test...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Turbo - pork is good but beef is a cook of patience. Don't rush it.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.