Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing Cheese

Options
 My local Restaurant Depot has a special on a wheel of D.O.P. Pecorino Romano for 2.69/lb this month. That is exceptionally cheap for quality cheese. But I would take quite a while to consume it all. Can it freeze? If so, will it affect the quality? How would you store excess long term?

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim

Comments

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that specific cheese but I've been using a chunk of parmigiano reggiano for almost 2 years. As long as it's wrapped tightly for this kind of cheese, no problem.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited August 2017
    Options

http://www.parmigianoreggiano.com/taste/store/store_parmigiano_reggiano.aspx

I go the vac seal route for hard and semi-hard cheeses.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    +1 on vac seal.  For this kind of thing I would cut off a chunk to use and keep in a vac seal ziplock bag and the rest in regular vac seal.  We use those vac seal ziplocks quite a bit for cheese since you can go in and out of them without wasting bag, but also easily get the air out.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    +2 on vac seal. Use Romano over Parma as SWMBO likes the milder flavour. Cut off a chunk to be ziplocked in the fridge while the rest is foodsavered in the bar or pantry fridge. Keeps well for months or even years (at least 10 months that I can verify)

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I misread the title of the post as string cheese and thought this was going to be a completely different post.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yes- hard cheese freezes well.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Vac seal in serving portions that you think you will use. Keep some in the fridge, freeze some. It will keep for months in the fridge. 

I do this with cheese that I smoke, since I only smoke when it's cool to cold outside. I have smoked cheeses available year round this way. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    +2 on vac seal. Use Romano over Parma as SWMBO likes the milder flavour. Cut off a chunk to be ziplocked in the fridge while the rest is foodsavered in the bar or pantry fridge. Keeps well for months or even years (at least 10 months that I can verify)

Ive always thought peccorino romano was sharper than parm reg?  Seems like it to me (but I love both). 

Little Rock, AR