Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomahawk Goodness

SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
This may be among the best meals I've ever cooked. A 2.85 lb choice tomahawk ribeye from Sam's. 
I put in my anova frankencooler for 6+ hours at 129 degrees. 

I did chimichuri sauce in the mortar and pestle. I do think it's worth the effort for a small batch. 

Wood fired roasted potatoes. Goodness...

Then... Creamed corn with green chilies. O.M.G. Did the bechamel sauce in the cast iron wok on the MM..

Make this. Add hatch green chilies. Send me a SRF brisket as thanks. Here's the recipe: http://abeandlouies.com/abe-louies-signature-creamed-corn/

The steak. 

Thanks @YukonRon for the wine recommendation via @Jeremiah thread. 

Plated pic sucks because of the light. 

I wish I could have all y'all over and serve this for you. 
In the meantime, thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    That oven is awesome. And the food looks incredible
  • SciAggie
    @cheeaa I'm not gonna lie - the oven is fun. And a cooking machine. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Awesome setup and awesome meal. 
    Snellville, GA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Impressive grub and I'm totally envious of your outdoor kitchen.  Can't wait to build mine.  

Is that a stained concrete slab or ?
    @nolaegghead Yes. We stained it ourselves. No one would come to podunk west Texas for a job this small. It was a bit nerve wracking but not actually very difficult. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Looks great.  I did our front porch.  Ground off the heinous pinkish peeling paint and polished it through various grits with a wet diamond grinder.  Apparently 90+ yo concrete doesn't like to take stain, but it did some.

I really would like to make a wood oven when I do my kitchen.  Did you use an available plan?  Buddy of mine is a glass blower that builds furnaces for the industry, might get him down here from his farm in VA to help me when I get to that point.
    edited August 2017
    @nolaegghead This oven is a Forno Bravo Casa 2G90 kit. You have to do a lot of reading because their instructions really stink. I'm happy with it so far. If I fire it to pizza temps on a Friday night - say 650-700 degrees, it will be 500ish Saturday morning, 375 that evening. Once the oven hits 325-350 it stays warm a long time. You can treat it like a fancy crock pot and cook all the way into Sunday night. 
    If you decide on a refractory cement kit we can talk and I'll offer some insight from my experience. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    I really appreciate it.  It's in the not-too-distant-future.  That's the 36" I suppose.  I cook enough pizza and bread and I'm a geek enough to justify, plus SWMBO is guaranteed to be down with it.
    Outstanding cook, and good to see you've upped the wine game too ;)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    You really need to start your own cooking show. That meal is incredible, and your outdoor kitchen is phenomenal. It is like Hollywood at your place in West Texas. I hope you enjoyed the wine. Their Rutherford cabs are very nice as well.

Next door to the BV is a place called the Rutherford Grill. A very nice spot in Napa to grab a bite while doing the wine tour.
    It is kind of cool, because much of the Napa wine industry will do their marketing there. You might grab a seat in the bar and sit next to some of the greatest winemakers in all of North America, while they compare their wine against others. (That would be the job I could do) they have about a zillion lables in their inventory. The food is great, not Hollywood @SciAggie great, but really good.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    @YukonRon Thanks for the kind words. In spite of all the good natured BS, Jeremiah's wine thread was actually helpful. I've tried the Gnarly Head also and I preferred the BV. Now I have two bottles of 14 Hands to try - the Hot to Trot and their Merlot.  
    My BIL and his wife just bought a nice place in Sonoma Valley. I hope on my next trip out there I'll be a bit more knowledgable about wines than I was on the last trip. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Wow!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Last I checked, there are 70K labels of different wines. The best I had ever had, is the wine I share with friends.
    We have been looking for a deal ourselves in wine country. We have been focused on French soil, and we got a nice hit today on a couple acres, with a home, that seems pretty ok. Over in this region of Burgundy, it is not totally unusual, but it is not the norm either, to have this type of combination, as the fields are all sectioned off, and worked by different families/winemakers. Some are vast in scope while others may be a couple dozen square meters.
    It is pretty cool. Retirement plans. We will see.
    Dream big.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • That is a great setup and the meal looks awesome. Nice job. 
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • Yeah I am with Ron. You at minimum need to get you a little YouTube channel going. 

Love that kitchen. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Brother that is an awesome meal.... and I am still jealous....  :) 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Amazing looking meal and an outdoor kitchen that belongs on TV. Enjoy your weekend!
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    @SciAggie. Love the cook and the kitchen. What will go in the opening to the left of the WFO?
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • SciAggie
    @CincyTiki That's just an open hearth/ Argentine grill. I'll shovel coals from the oven and cook stuff there - when it's not summer, lol. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Always enjoy your threads as you turn out spectacular groceries.  This one is right up there with all the others.  Great finish on that steak.  Most eggcellent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    @lousubcap One of the best aspects of the meal was it was not complex and stressful. The steak was in the sous vide bath - cook when I feel like it. Potatoes roasting in the oven - large operating window. In the corn dish, the corn and chilies are done way ahead. The only thing I had to do was sauté bacon and shallots and make the bechamel sauce. Then mix together and throw in the oven. Last step was sear the steak. 
    So - the time cooking close to meal time was under thirty minutes - with flexible timing. Plenty of time to have conversation with my lovely wife and enjoy an adult beverage. 

On on a side note the MM is a pretty awesome "side burner". One of the complaints some have is the reluctance of the MM to get hot. That's an asset for the last couple of cooks. I've limited the amount of lump a bit and started at a lower temp. The MM has behaved nicely. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Wow, just Wow, on the meal and the setup!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • That is a fantastic cook. You are living right! 

Thanks for the creamed corn recipe, I'm gonna try it.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Amazing visual display of culinary talent and the outdoor kitchen gives me something to strive towards.  Thank you for sharing.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I first tried chimchuri on steak in Cancun, really liked it!

Looks like a delicious and fun cook!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Wow!! That's all I got. Wow!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    SciAggie said:
    @lousubcap One of the best aspects of the meal was it was not complex and stressful. The steak was in the sous vide bath - cook when I feel like it. Potatoes roasting in the oven - large operating window. In the corn dish, the corn and chilies are done way ahead. The only thing I had to do was sauté bacon and shallots and make the bechamel sauce. Then mix together and throw in the oven. Last step was sear the steak. 
    So - the time cooking close to meal time was under thirty minutes - with flexible timing. Plenty of time to have conversation with my lovely wife and enjoy an adult beverage. 

On on a side note the MM is a pretty awesome "side burner". One of the complaints some have is the reluctance of the MM to get hot. That's an asset for the last couple of cooks. I've limited the amount of lump a bit and started at a lower temp. The MM has behaved nicely. 
    So you give yourself about 1/100th the credit you're due? Holy moly, what a beautiful meal and kitchen. 

"One of the best aspects of the meal was it was not complex and stressful?"  :o
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Stunning-looking meal, Sir!  I'm impressed!

You have a long, narrow "service" table in your kitchen shot, it looks like a large plank balanced on two woodworking machines.  What exactly is that?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SciAggie
    Botch said:
    Stunning-looking meal, Sir!  I'm impressed!

You have a long, narrow "service" table in your kitchen shot, it looks like a large plank balanced on two woodworking machines.  What exactly is that?  
    It's sort of funny. In a way we built the kitchen around that bar. The base is from an old lathe - according to the guy I bought it from. The top is two ceiling support beams from an old warehouse that are joined together. 
    My wife and I found this at a craft show. It is one of the only things in our marriage we ever both liked equally well at the same time - so I bought it on the spot. We have enjoyed it greatly. It separates the cooking area from the dining area and gives nice work and serving space. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @bjeans Thanks for the kind words. You'll get there soon enough - where some things seem easy. For me it's the things I cook that are very flexible as far as timing is concerned. That's part of the beauty of the sous vide - if you want to wait another 30 minutes and have some wine, then wait. The food in the water bath won't be affected at all. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon