Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red Wine goeswith what?

BigGreenDave
BigGreenDave Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi

I have been busy it has been raining like crazy. I have not cooked in a while but I am makinga table for my egg. Not a real table but one I can move it around with from my place to Jimmy's. sometimes we cook at his place cause it can be more fun. Especially if mom has a friend over

I told you my mom works at a truckstop and stuff. She has a friend that drives a truck through here every now and then and he always has something good for us.

So he came through this weekend and had some cool wine. I don't drink wine or no anything about it . It is all supposed to be good but some looks kinda old. Does red wine go with redmeat and white wine for fish?
It's all red wine.

If you have a website that says what wine goes with what meat that would be awesome.
Dave Montgomery at Wheeling West Virgina

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    There are some great ideas here.

http://wineintro.com/food/
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Conventional wisdom would say red with red, but cook what you like and enjoy the wine with it!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    It used to be that red wine was supposed to be served with red meat, and white wine with chicken, seafood, etc. But, I've heard that they (whoever "they" are), have loosened up the rules.

Ya know, unless you're at some high class, black tie affair ..... and from what I've seen of the folks here .. very few of us, if any, would be caught dead at one, then gulp whatever you want. Drink it from a straw or styrofoam cup. I've spilt wine a couple of times at a friends' house, so they make me drink it from a sippy cup now. :blush: :laugh:

I like red wine and drink it with every kind of meat.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Granted some recipes are best or even a must with regard to red or white, but from there...
    I personally think that the rules are way over stated, regarding what goes with what regarding a meal and I think it is a matter of what a person really likes.
    I strongly believe that “Age improves with wine”, just look at me ;) !
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i keep breaking their glasses,, they keep lexan unbreakable ones for me,,, i broke one of them too..
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Red or White, my kind comes in a box :laugh:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yep, I would google that.  Looks like you have the right idea.
    edited August 2017
    Edit - suckered into an ancient necro thread. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Traditionally red with red and white with white is the norm.  Looking deeper than that other pairing "rules would be:  pair bigger/fattier foods with bigger/tannic wines and lighter foods with lighter wines (ex fatty ribeye with big Cab, filet with lighter Pinot Noir),  similar/complimentary flavors together (buttery Chardonnay with lobster/crab, acidic Sauvignon Blanc with light fish you would squeeze lemon on), pair opposites (spicy food with sweeter wine like Reisling).  Also Pinot Noir with salmon is pretty classic.  Syrah/Shiraz with  lamb or something gamey.  That all being said, drink what you like with whatever food you are serving and ignore the "rules" if that works for you.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited August 2017
    Depending on the grape, red wine can go with anything but the most delicate of white fish. It also depends on the preparation of the dish. For example raw oysters call for a dry white like a flinty Sancerre but a chargrilled one can go very nice with a light Pinot. A lot of Asian dishes can go well with a Zin if they have a bit of heat. 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    edited August 2017
    Squirrel - funny stuff.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    We pretty much drink good red wine with everything. 

We are cave people.
    Heck yeah
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    This has always worked for me.  Not only in social situations but life in general .
    White wine for breakfast, red for lunch or dinner.  Life is good.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• nolaegghead
    bucky925 said:
    This has always worked for me.  Not only in social situations but life in general .
    White wine for breakfast, red for lunch or dinner.  Life is good.
    Makes total sense.

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Everything

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    People, first, this is a thread from 2010. Secondly, it was started by Big Green Dave. Legitimate responses are frowned upon.

Personally, I like that Peter V stuff. Especially with tree rat. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I have not had squirrel since I left the Deep South many years ago, but if I had the opportunity, it would be paired with a good Cabernet Sauvignon. From California, not that French stuff. And not from a box.

XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.