Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firepit

hey @RRP didnt you post a pic of a firepit you built a few months back?  I need a pic. (Yeah I know the search thang is my friend but I'm lazy). 

Little Rock, AR

Comments

• Yeah no

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Here you go! I'm so pleased with it and could break my foot kicking myself in the butt for not doing this 37 years ago!!! We have so many trees that deadwood themselves in the winds we have here. It's so nice to have a safe burn pit!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    waz it one of these?

Image result for redneck fire pit

Related image

Thats how you end end up getting trolled.  ;)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Image result for fire hell
    Image result for south park hell

Little Rock, AR

• RRP said:
    Here you go! I'm so pleased with it and could break my foot kicking myself in the butt for not doing this 37 years ago!!! We have so many trees that deadwood themselves in the winds we have here. It's so nice to have a safe burn pit!

Little Rock, AR

• Thats the one ron. 

Little Rock, AR

• Arkansas fire pit 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    I was drunk and bought this at a st Jude's benefit 
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • Did ya burn the pallet?

Little Rock, AR

• Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    Not yet 
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • Sh!t thats how you season those rims. We gotta a skidder rim at my camp. 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    Thats the one ron. 
    Assumed so being my only one!  =) BTW the hardest part for me was carrying the blocks around from my driveway and down my backyard. But if you have a crew of family members carrying merely one block at a time like an army of ants then no problem.

This Fall I plan to add the three more bags of pea gravel inside the pit - JUST like the instructions & material list had said! But by the time I carried all the material around by myself I was tired and thought enough was enough!

Reason is I've found that as I rake the burning embers inward to make sure all will burn up I have to afterward spread the rock back down more often than I think necessary when I find the hard clay ground exposed again.
  • RRP said:

I built the same kit about 10 years ago, been a wee bit too warm a few times so the top row needs replacing. But it's had hundreds of fires through it so it's served us well.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • RRP
    RRP said:

I built the same kit about 10 years ago, been a wee bit too warm a few times so the top row needs replacing. But it's had hundreds of fires through it so it's served us well.
    Menards maybe? Please tell me the issue with the top layer...I don't understand how even the heat from an intense fire could hurt those blocks...or am I being naive?

BTW I have had to re-paint that screen since it rusted due to the heat of the fire from only ONE time putting it on to prevent sparks when I had to leave home unattended. Ever since I only burn when I know I will see the fire from start to embers! 
  • RRP said:
    RRP said:

Menards maybe? Please tell me the issue with the top layer...I don't understand how even the heat from an intense fire could hurt those blocks...or am I being naive?

BTW I have had to re-paint that screen since it rusted due to the heat of the fire from only ONE time putting it on to prevent sparks when I had to leave home unattended. Ever since I only burn when I know I will see the fire from start to embers! 
    I got it from a local landscape supply company as a kit. It took many years of really big fires but they eventually cracked. I think I'll probably just put another row on top and run it another 10.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • RRP said:
    Thats the one ron. 
    Assumed so being my only one!  =) BTW the hardest part for me was carrying the blocks around from my driveway and down my backyard. But if you have a crew of family members carrying merely one block at a time like an army of ants then no problem.

This Fall I plan to add the three more bags of pea gravel inside the pit - JUST like the instructions & material list had said! But by the time I carried all the material around by myself I was tired and thought enough was enough!

Reason is I've found that as I rake the burning embers inward to make sure all will burn up I have to afterward spread the rock back down more often than I think necessary when I find the hard clay ground exposed again.
    They will be going in the bucket of my deere. 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

I got it from a local landscape supply company as a kit. It took many years of really big fires but they eventually cracked. I think I'll probably just put another row on top and run it another 10.
    As I recall the advertised price at Menards for exactly what I did was like $330, but by catching all the pieces and parts on sale I spent little more than $100. BTW when you mention your cracked pieces did you actually also have that interior steel ring? 
  • RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

As I recall the advertised price at Menards for exactly what I did was like $330, but by catching all the pieces and parts on sale I spent little more than $100. BTW when you mention your cracked pieces did you actually also have that interior steel ring? 
    Do you mind giving instructions on yours?  By the way, my wife is excited bout the triple chocolate cake recipe. I bet she gonna do it tomorrow, but in the wall clock, not on the egg. 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Do you mind giving instructions on yours?  By the way, my wife is excited bout the triple chocolate cake recipe. I bet she gonna do it tomorrow, but in the wall clock, not on the egg. 
    Wall clock??? Does your wall clock really get hot enogh? 

BTW no I no longer have the instructions and honestly they were of very little help anyway. Though the were written in English they said little more than "stack blocks on top of each lower level by staggering them." 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Triple chocolate cake! :o I totally missed this somehow. I'd prolly score for sure if I made that. Would someone please post a link?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Without getting into the details, I need to get back into her good graces. 
  • RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Triple chocolate cake! :o I totally missed this somehow. I'd prolly score for sure if I made that. Would someone please post a link?

Triple Chocolate and Kahlua Cake

Questions? Feel free to email me directly at: ron.pat@comcast.net

1 box of Pillsbury Moist Supreme German Chocolate cake mix (forget the ingredients the box calls for - all you want is the mix) 

1 3.9 oz package if Jell-O brand instant chocolate pudding 

6 oz chocolate chips (Hershey’s Special Dark Semi-Sweet chips are the best!)

1 pint of sour cream  (regular, not Light)

3/4 cup veggie oil

4 eggs (yolks + whites)

1/3 cup Kahlua

Set up the BGE for an indirect cook with plate setter inverted and grill sitting on legs. 

Stabilize fire at 350 and make sure there is no smoke - this may take extra time but you really need the 350 stability plus the smoke free fire. 

Mix all the ingredients well with a mixer as the batter is very thick! 

Spray bundt pan with a baker's spray like Baker's Secret or Bake Ease even if your bundt pan is Teflon coated.

Bake at 350 for 50 to 55 minutes and test with a toothpick. I've baked this at least 100 times now and it takes me 60 to 63 minutes before the toothpick comes out clean. 

Remove from BGE and let the cake settle and cool still in the bundt pan for at least 15 minutes - flip and it should fall out with ease. Let it cool longer yet - if you can at all so it will firm up...especially since the chocolate chips are still gooey at that warm stage!  Suit yourself about an icing, but I like to let this cake speak for itself!

By the nature of the ingredients it is an extremely moist cake. BTW I think the cake is far better the next day and it really keeps quite well just covered on the counter! I hope yours comes out as well! 

Source: Derived from a post by egger Tammy Jacques a.k.a. Mrs. Squeeze eons ago

Little Rock, AR

• kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Start reading because I have a mild interest in maybe building a firepit. Conclude by clipping a chocolate cake recipe.

Sure, I knew where this was going all along... I love this place :-)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited August 2017
    Without getting into the details, I need to get back into her good graces. 
    @theyolksonyou
     Again? Serve this cake, after your award winning chili. You will be getting husband treatment in no time.
    You got this.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky