Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT?

Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do they re-heat well? If so what's the best way to do it if I cook them tonight to serve tommorrow?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    deetwood,
    I make anywhere from 24 to 48 at a time. I'm the only one who eats them here. After egged I merely let them cool and then place in a tightly sealed Tupperware container and refrigerate. Then day by day I'll nuke one or two to enjoy! With our microwave 14 sec on high is perfect for one, but you'll need to figure your unit's setting. BTW they keep in that Tupperware for weeks and weeks!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ron, do you use pulled pork as the BGE Recipe calls? I saw a post some time back that used "Little Smokies" with the cream cheese packed around. Have you tried that? I have some pulled pork in the freezer, but was saving it for pork and beans (one of my favorites). Also, in the recipe there is no mention of direct or indirect, etc. I am going to attempt my first ABTs on Sunday. Any help would be appreciated.[p]Thanks,
    Scott

• RRP
    IMG_0645.jpg
    <p />SouthOfI10,
    I've used pulled pork, shrimp, and little smokies, but like I said only I eat them here so my preference is the little smokies. Yes, I fill the little "boats" as I call them with half a smokie cut horizonally and then using Kraft's original Philly cheese (never that lowfat crap!) I embed that smokie. After that the usual bacon wrap, pinned with a toothpick. And then before smoking them on a raised grate I hit them with either DP's Raging River or Tsunami Spin rub. BTW since you said you are trying your first ones tomorrow let me throw out a pix to wet your appetite!

• RRP, Wow, those look fantastic! Direct or indirect? How's retirement treating you? (It's been a year or so since I posted here (used to be SnowEgg)).[p]Thanks for the tips![p]Scott

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    RRP,
    THAT LOOKS GREAT I FOUND HOWEVER IR YOU PUT PHILLY IN A ZIPLOCK BAG AND CUT OFF A CORNER (LIKE A PIPING BAG) AND PUT THAT DOWN FIRST IT HOLDS BETTER WITH CREAM CHEESE ON BOTTOM RATHER THAN TOP

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RRP
    SouthOfI10,
    it's a little pain in the arse, but I've found my best results are from using a plate setter with legs up, then covered with foil as I hate the blackened fat crud and then placing the regular grill on the legs - at about 250 to 275 it will take about an hour to get "just right" using a favorite wood for smoke. BTW I never open the dome when egging ABTs until near the end, but I do lift off Miss Daisey to peer down from the top to judge the progress. Good luck on your first attempt! As for retirement...at age 61 it was GOD sent and I love it! May everyone have my good fortune!

• RRP
    BENTE,
    PLEASE TAKE THE CAPS LOCK OFF AS THAT IS HOLLERING!
    To each his own, but I prefer the broad blade knife to force the room temp Philly cheese into the boat.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    RRP,
    sorry did not know i was screaming but i guess i hear that alot so i am used to appologizing (as you can see i cant even spell half the time)for being loud. however i just kind of used the philly as a glue rather than a topping

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• SouthOfI10,
    I made 80 the other night for 15 people. They were very simple, but the only complaint I got was there weren't enough.
    I wear latex gloves when I make them. No cake decorator plastic bag, or knife, I put the cream cheese in by hand. Push a little smokey into the cheese and wrap with bacon. Indirect at 350* for an hour or until the bacon is crispy.
    You might try sprinkling them with paprika before putting them in the Egg. You can mix about anything you want in the cream cheese.[p]Mike