Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Well water filtration

jeffwit
jeffwit Posts: 1,348
We moved into a house about a year ago that is serviced by a private well. Never had a well before now. It has a primitive whole house carbon filter on it. We have some issues with hard water-scale build up, dry skin, etc. So, I'm beginning the process of figuring out what I need to upgrade to. Reverse osmosis, better filter, softenener, what? Anybody have any real world experience?
And yes, I know this is a BBQ forum. But I figured if you can get oil change in a Camry info, then why not...
Jefferson, GA
XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
“Honey, we bought a farm.”

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I was trying to address a somewhat different set of issues (municipal water), but I have a whole house softener/filtration system made by Puronics that I really like.  They also installed a separate drinking water filtration that services my kitchen sinks and ice-makers.  I've been really happy with it, although it does require some ongoing maintenance (filter changes, softening salts, etc).
    NOLA
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    We have a culligan water system with a clorinator on it. Might not be the best, but works for us. They come twice a year to service it. Was expensive, I think are 6 to 8 grand. Can't remember, it has been 15 years.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    did you have the well tested to see if you even need a filter. ive never had to use anything on well water. i do have a filter on the city water at work and its more from complaints at work than water quality
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    also, ask your neighbors what they use, they have the same water
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    did you have the well tested to see if you even need a filter. ive never had to use anything on well water. i do have a filter on the city water at work and its more from complaints at work than water quality
    This. 

If it turns out you have poor water quality, you'll need to evaluate why through the lab tests and put equipment in to deal with it.  Hopefully you don't need anything.
    also, ask your neighbors what they use, they have the same water
    Exactly what I was going to say - see what your neighbors are doing.

I'd also get a water test just to see what you are dealing with right out of the ground.

I'd also contact your local health department (assuming that is who oversees wells in your area) so you can discuss past and potential problems your area may have had or may experience. They may also have on record when your well was drilled and how deep it is
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I have a well and the water has high iron content.  I use a whole house filter that removes a lot of iron.  (A 12 month filter is clogged in 1 to 2 months). I also have a water softener and use the iron out salt.  The softener helps with skin, spots on dishes,  scale on shower walls etc.  It also helps with taste. 

You can drill a new well 20 feet away from the current well and get completely different water.   

One thing you can do is bring your water to get tested at a reputable plumbing place that sells all these systems.  They can explain what is in your water and how best to treat it.  

Whole house filter I have:

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/water-filtration-softeners/whole-house-filtration-systems-accessories/omnifilter-20-heavy-duty-whole-house-filter-system/p-1444450664847-c-8685.htm?tid=3550493249339441386&ipos=22

Water softener I think i have:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-30-000-Grain-Water-Softener-GXSF30V/203219771

I may try this someday:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Calmat-Electronic-Anti-Scale-and-Rust-Water-Treatment-System-1-6004-000/206266883

It had good reviews. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • jeffwit
    Are the at home water test worth anything or not?
    Jefferson, GA
  • fishlessman
    jeffwit said:
    see if your state does it, it will come back with whats in your water and whats within the excepted ranges, it will be much more thorough. they will send a bottle, send it back the same day, let the water run a few minutes before testing
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    normally you dont buy a house on a well without getting it tested, ive always made the realtor do it
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    jeffwit said:
    Yes, they are better than nothing.

You might want to call the Environmental Protection Division and see what they know.  You can have stuff like lead, copper, radium and arsenic in your water that the home tests don't detect (low enough).  Ask your neighbors.  Possible they never tested, so don't put a lot of stock in it if they don't know anything.

Anyway, you want to know what the typical contaminants are to your area, then you can send a sample of the water to an environmental testing lab and target those things.  It's a lot cheaper than testing for "everything".  Although they may have some package deals.

Water chemistry is complex and if it's off, it can cause a lot of damage to your health and your house.
    jeffwit said:
    Yes, they are better than nothing.

You might want to call the Environmental Protection Division and see what they know.  You can have stuff like lead, copper, radium and arsenic in your water that the home tests don't detect (low enough).  Ask your neighbors.  Possible they never tested, so don't put a lot of stock in it if they don't know anything.

Anyway, you want to know what the typical contaminants are to your area, then you can send a sample of the water to an environmental testing lab and target those things.  It's a lot cheaper than testing for "everything".  Although they may have some package deals.

Water chemistry is complex and if it's off, it can cause a lot of damage to your health and your house.
    Just skip all this nonsense and call Erin Brockovich.  :wink:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    I'm on a very irony well system. My next door neighbor has a 'Kinetico' non- electric purification system ($4500). Water is very clean and pure which was state tested. I shower at her house occasionally (ahem) the water lathers up real fast and her laundry is much cleaner than mine.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    I'm on a very irony well system. My next door neighbor has a 'Kinetico' non- electric purification system ($4500). Water is very clean and pure which was state tested. I shower at her house occasionally (ahem) the water lathers up real fast and her laundry is much cleaner than mine.
    Since this is a Thursday night I'm going to overlook the multiple jokes that are currently on the table :)
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Where I'm at, the water treatment companies will provide you with free water analysis' in an effort to gain your business. This may be worth a shot for you too. Local health Dept covers water test for microbiology, also at no charge. Just know they are 2 very different things.
  • jeffwit
    Thanks for all the info. I've contacted a company to come out and do an analysis. Then we'll go from there. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    When I had a thirty foot well in nearby Hog Mountain, I had no filter and never had a problem when it was replaced with a 250 foot well, also no problems.
    I own a home in Tennessee with spring water. I use a particulate filter on it. For about ten years, I maintained two small untreated water systems with 750 foot wells and used one of them for my personal water. The two wells were identical depth about a quarter mile apart and one had strong sulfur taste while the other did not. 
    I relocated to a place with treated water a year ago and still cannot drink the stuff without a filter to remove the bad taste. To each his own, but this is the first time in over 40 years I've had treated water and given a choice I would use a well or spring any day.

Highly opinionated Bob

Cooking on the coast
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I have a softener on my well, but the drinking water for the fridge, sink, etc bypass that and have their own filters.  Then make sure all your hose bibs/spigots are pulled off the main BEFORE it goes through the softener as well.  If you have a whole house humidifier you're going to have to decide which side of the softener you put that on as well (pro's and con's to each.)  I have a steam humidifier, and it's now downstream, but also has a filter......still gets a tons of sediment in it.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    edited August 2017
    I had mine tested and I had high iron and calcium, as well as some harmless bacteria that causes that sulphur smell every now and then which is common in my area. I started with a softener and that worked well but seemed to fade in performance in a year. I added a whole house particulate and charcoal filter and that helped with taste/smell but it needed to be replaced almost monthly at a rate of $50 each, along with a noticeable pressure drop. My next step was a green sand and aeration system. Basically the water passes through air, the calcium and iron oxidize, the anaerobic bacteria that causes the smell gasses off and then gets filtered by the green sand. The green sand then gets flushed out every 2nd night automatically. So far so good with this system, the water tastes great and no hard water stains. I was able to ditch the other filters (still have softener in line)Hopefully this set up lasts  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    BikerBob said:
    When I had a thirty foot well in nearby Hog Mountain, I had no filter and never had a problem when it was replaced with a 250 foot well, also no problems.
    I own a home in Tennessee with spring water. I use a particulate filter on it. For about ten years, I maintained two small untreated water systems with 750 foot wells and used one of them for my personal water. The two wells were identical depth about a quarter mile apart and one had strong sulfur taste while the other did not. 
    I relocated to a place with treated water a year ago and still cannot drink the stuff without a filter to remove the bad taste. To each his own, but this is the first time in over 40 years I've had treated water and given a choice I would use a well or spring any day.

Highly opinionated Bob

I'm a city boy and whenever I would visit folks in the boonies using their own wells I could never stand the taste of the water. It's all what you are used to.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    HeavyG said:
    BikerBob said:

Highly opinionated Bob

I'm a city boy and whenever I would visit folks in the boonies using their own wells I could never stand the taste of the water. It's all what you are used to.
    i live in a city between 2 cities on the same river, ones ok the other is just plain undrinkable, im ok with mine =) used to be on a 400 foot well, great water, just up the street was sulfer water, deeper well. camps on a sandbar with a 6 foot well, the sandbar is a giant filter and great water, but next door the water is salty, go figure
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Bad water doesn't necessarily taste, smell or look bad.  And you might not notice your IQ dropping, and might just blame the hair loss on age...
    Bad water doesn't necessarily taste, smell or look bad.  And you might not notice your IQ dropping, and might just blame the hair loss on age...
    If you start thinking about voting Democrat, have your water checked.  =)
  • fishlessman
    preschool here was tested and found with high flourides in the well, not good but they found a way to fix the supply. still dont like brown smelly horribly tasting water though ;) to me its bad either way.  tip, if stranded in the woods, a tampon in a straw makes a good water filter if you must =)
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Makes perfect sense that intellectuals would vote for Trump.  That's what happened, right? ;)
    Makes perfect sense that intellectuals would vote for Trump.  That's what happened, right? ;)
    may have helped the dems if more of the intellectual young snowflakes actually voted, cause they know better, right =)
    fukahwee maine

• Good call. Having a company come out is the way to go. It doesn't cost a ton and they are much more accurate. 

Or you could boil water on your BGE. I've heard it's all the rage. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    We have a neighborhood well system. The city checks all the wells annually and sends us reports. Probably good because there's trace Unanium found in a couple of the wells and those were shut down because of it. Would suck if that was my well and it wasn't tested regularly. I've thought about putting in a well but they aren't cheap and it would only be for the lawn. 
    I do have a whole house filter and a water softener for the house. Previous owner had a huge commercial grade softener that failed on me. I put in the best residential one I could find. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Heavy G

I went to the store yesterday and looked closely, but did not find any bottles of chemically treated city water.  I guess I only went to a small rural IGA selling bottles of spring water rather than the big city Wally World with city water.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    As a kid growing up in the south Bronx the water there was ,If you can believe this , excellent . New York city's reservoir system was always known for having the best water in the country . We had a summer home in the 50's just up the road from where I have been living since 1973 and we drilled a well  that hit water at 60 feet . Had the local water witch come by with a piece of what I remember was peach or willow and picked out where to drill .  Mom came out with Rosaries while they drilled and we hit water at 60 feet where across road it was like 500 for their well .  Water was good and never went dry .Where I live now well is 275 feet and water is hard as nails . Dissolved solids average around 560 where it should be about 200 at highest and have had a softener since I moved in in1973 . Even with softener plays hell with coffee maker and such . Went to Poland Spring water delivered to house for coffee and everyday drinking ,others in my area have done same . Thought about reverse osmosis but not crazy about maintenance and cost's. No easy answer when it comes to water and wells . A lot of municipal water is even worse with all the chlorine and such. We will always be on individual well and septics where I live ,you just hope your neighbor takes care of his business like he should so you are not adding some nasty bacteria to the host of dissolved solids .