Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Meat for Jerky

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If I wanted to make Beef Jerky, what is the best cut of meat?
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I have only done sirloin tip and brisket. I vote for chunk-o-chest. Full of flavor, soaks up marinade nicely, consistently sized slices, easy to slice, perfect texture.
    MHO.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    How did you do your jerked jerky?
    R&J

• Nature Boy
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Basically a similar base as GFW's river city recipe, with a couple heaping teaspoons of Walkerswood (did not have the Eatons at that point). Reduce the soy sauce...especially with the Eatons, which seems much saltier than the Walkerswood. I added some other goodies also. This is an approximation. I am not a very accurate measurer.[p]1/2 cup soy sauce (I like Maggi)
    3/4 cup Brown Sugar
    1/4 cup Dark Molasses
    2 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp Black Pepper: I like more, I love black pepper.
    Some sesame oil
    Very small pinch of 5-spice powder
    And as much jerk as you feel comfortable with....you know jerk.[p]Marinate overnight at least. I used Gfw's "pile" method. The only difference is i cooked at 200. Personally I have found that I get a much cleaner burn at 200 than 180. I used smoking wood the first time, but prefer just the lump flavor.[p]You got me wanting to do some more. My camping buddies are hooked on it.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Cool, thanks.[p]I just mixed up a fresh batch of five spice powder. Maybe I will give it a try.
    R&J

• Nature Boy
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    What is the recipe you use for 5-spice powder?? Been using the Dynasty pre-ground stuff, but would love to try a fresh batch of home ground and mixed.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    This is coming from that cookbook that I was telling you about. I did make some modifications; well I actually reversed the modification for not having Star Anise and Szechwan Peppercorns because I did have them.[p]2 teaspoons whole Star Anise
    1 teaspoon Fennel seed
    2 inch stick cinnamon, broken into pieces
    1 teaspoon whole cloves
    1 teaspoon Szechwan Peppercorns[p]Just grind them up into a fine powder. I use an electric coffee grinder that I only use for spices.[p]See what you think.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I have found that flank steak is the best for me. It has a grain to it like conventional beef jerky. It is somewhat pricy ($5 lb), but alot of times you can get it on sale for half price when the store want to move it. I'll bet skirt steak would be as good, but I have not tried it for jerky yet.
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    BBQ-BoB,......flank grabs my interest as it`s plentiful here......how thick do you slice it?[p]Mop

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I sue Sirloin tip roast. Watch for it on sale at $1.49 to $1.99 per LB at our local Krogers. The butcher will take a 10 LB roast and slice it at 1/4" free. All I have to do is cut off the remaining fat and conective tissue. I make my own brine. I can get the whole thing on my large by hanging it on toothpicks on a raised grill. It takes about 3 to 4 hours @ 175 Deg. I do a lot. Got two boys in college. Any questions e-mail me [p]MAC

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Ouch, Nature Boy. Walkerswood & Eatons AGAIN.....

• Nature Boy
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Sorry! Those are the only ones I have tried!
    The Walkerswood I had bought locally at the carribean market before I knew of yours. Then Rhum&Jerk brought me some of the Eatons when he visited. I just finished up the Walkerswood, and cracked into the Eatons. I have full intentions of ordering some of yours, and some of your famous mustard next! But I go through the stuff pretty slowly. Heard great things!![p]See you at the eggfest??
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    J Appledog,
    When I get a chance to make some, I will use Mrs. Dogs.[p]By the way, the other night I used some of your nuts for an Indian Yogurt Rita to accompany an Indianan meal that y wife and I were cooking. Basically, it was plain yogurt mixed with honey, chopped pistachios, rose water and saffron and then chilled. The recipe came from an Indian Cookbook that I have. Mrs. Dog’s Green Chili Pistachios added a neat dimension to this rich condiment.

Thanks,
    RhumAndJerk

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, Thanks for the ideas! They would be great in the sauce for the salmon tacos in my cookbook.... JCA

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    Mop,[p]I slice it about 1/8 in thick and inch-wide strips anywhere from 3 to 6 in long depending on how much meat you have