Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Brewing my House Pale Ale

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Seems like I never remember to take pictures of any of my BGE cooks anymore, but I always manage to get a few of brew day. Been brewing a bunch of small batches this summer, partly to experiment and partly because I can do them inside on the stove and I don't have to drag out my large batch equipment and sit outside in the Texas heat for a coupla hours and partly because I can knock a small batch out including clean up in under 3.5 hrs.

This weekend I did a small batch (2 gallon) of my house pale ale using Chinook and Cascade hops that should come in around 5% ABV and 35 IBUs. 2 gallons will net me about and 18 pack.

Boiling away on the stove

My 'lil helper getting the wort down to yeast pitching temperature.

My fermentation chamber (mini dorm fridge) is all filled up now. 2 gallons of Pale Ale, 2.5 gallons of my Bourbon Barrel Porter (that I'll try and age out to 3 years again) and 1.5 gallons of pumpkin ale (cuz who wants more than a 12 pack of that?)

And the obligatory pic of Duke, who has not taken off his swim goggles for 3 days now.

I'll try and get some more cooking pics up soon. We did legs last night, and I know that we are doing burgers one night this week and chilli dogs another, so we'll see if I can remember

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    Options
    Love homebrewing. Did an all grain 5 gallon oatmeal stout yesterday. Fermenting away
    Central Florida
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very fun post Griff...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Nice post, my head entered the all grain 3 tier rabbit hole recently.  I applaud the restraint in 3 yr fermentation, don't think I could make that one.

Starting to piece together my 5-10 gal operation, learning about the process is fun.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Like your hop selection, similar to my pale. I use some Citra in dry hop also. What are you using for grain?
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Fascinating read, thank you for sharing. Thinking Duke wants to hit the pool again.
    Nice selection, Never had pumpkin ale. Wondering what I am missing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Griffin
    Options

@zman51 that sounds good. I'm thinking my next batch will be something dark for winter. Care to share your recipe?

Thanks @Photo_Egg

@Focker thanks. I started doing 3 vessel, but switched to BIAB. To me, its an easier process and if you do full volume mash, there's no sparge (batch or fly) which saves times. I mash in the kettle with all my water and it seems to work. Since starting to crush my own grain, I'm hitting a 75% efficiency. However you do it, it is fun and I love learning about stuff.

@tjosborne take into consideration this was for a 2 gallon batch, you might have to do math if you want to up to a 5 gallon batch

• 3.2lb 2-Row
    • .2lb Victory
    • .2lb Crystal 10
    • .2lb Crystal 20
    • .2lb Carapils
    • 6 g Chinook (13 AA0 at 60 min
    • 4 g Cascade (7 AA)at 30 min
    • 3g Cascade (7 AA)  at 5 min

@YukonRon The Kid loves the pool. I take him swimming at least 2 times a week. Its amazing what they are capable of if you start them early. We put him in swim lessons last spring (before he turned 1.5) and again this spring. He'll dive off the edge and swim to you, knows how to turn over and float if he runs out of breath and can't reach the edge. We're huge fans of survival swimming for babies now. As far as pumpkin ale, I can only ever drink one or two at a time. Not the greatest, but just kinda something to do for the holidays.

Rowlett, Texas

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Little one is turning into a handsome youngster.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Options
    Little one is turning into a handsome youngster.  

Aww, thanks you so much. :)

Rowlett, Texas

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nice on the home brew.
    Wow Duke sure is growing up!

Nicely done sir. =)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX