Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 year frozen raw chicken parts.

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
dont tell my wife as this would blow her mind - but we enjoyed some chicken pieces and parts which I egged tonight which I had vacuum packaged in a Food Saver bag 5 years and 4 months ago. When I ran across that package in our deep freezer last week and saw no sign of freezer burn I figured "go for it"! All I had to do was take a Magic Marker and change the '12 to '17 and after egging they were great! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Your chicken parts sound like my boxer shorts. They probably should have been thrown out 5 years ago. No freezer burn yet! Why waste them when they are just aged a little. ;) I see no wrong in my book. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Beats my oldest find by about two years.  Nice save with the marker as well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    The Magic Marker must have converted the chicken to fresh  :) 
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2017
    Options
    That is remarkable. Found many two or three year old "Foodsavered" things in the old chest freezer as stuff could get lost and fall to the bottom. Since converting to a commercial upright about 10 years ago have not had anymore "where the hell did this come from" moments. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    That is remarkable. Found many two or three year old "Foodsavered" things in the old chest freezer as stuff could get lost and fall to the bottom. Since converting to a commercial upright about 10 years ago have not had anymore "where the hell did this come from" moments. 
    We've only had upright freezers for 45 years, but just the same stuff gets pushed to the back out of sight out of mind.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.