Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg cover offset to base

not sure how this happened. I was using my XL last night and noticed my cover is offset to the base. Hinges soon tight but I would like to fix. What is causing this? In the back its flush but in the front it's off by 1/4". 
Any help would be appreciated. 
XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 

Comments

• Try to adjust it again. One thing for certain is the bolts aren't tight enough. 
  • sjm1027
    sjm1027 Posts: 154
    Try to adjust it again. One thing for certain is the bolts aren't tight enough. 
    Thanks for your help. Why do you think the bolts aren't tight enough? They seem pretty tight or maybe I am afraid the cover will snap or the bolts will strip. Do you have your very tight?
    XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 
  • The bolts should bend, don't worry you won't crack the ceramic. 
  • sjm1027
    Thanks for your help
  • No problem. Hope you get it solved. Keep us posted. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Rule of thumb is you should tighten those bolts until they start to noticeably bend. That seems to be the sign of proper torque.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Here's a pic of tight bolts. Never mind the band, I bent it. 

• bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    I think the bolts on my egg are a little more bent than in the photo. It was assembled by guys from the dealer, one who's done this for a couple decades, and he pointed it out. He said if he doesn't say something, they get calls from people worried about bent bolts. 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • sjm1027
    Thanks everyone
  • sjm1027
    So to adjust I guess I loosen the top bracket, line up the cover to the base and torque the hell out of it? 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    sjm1027 said:
    So to adjust I guess I loosen the top bracket, line up the cover to the base and torque the hell out of it? 
    Something like that. Loosen both bands. Then get the bottom one lined up with the top of the ceramic (just up to the edge of the gasket) and tighten it. Then align the dome and tighten the upper band. You may need to have downward pressure on the dome to keep it even while you tighten that band. 

That's the method that works for me.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • sjm1027
    I went through the process of adjusting my base to cover and found out that the gasket has also slipped a little making the 1/4" offset look worse than it really is. As I tightened the band I could hear come crackling so I cranked on it just a little bit more. I think I am all set now.. maybe in the spring I will put on a new gasket. 
    Thanks to all that helped. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    sjm1027 said:
    I went through the process of adjusting my base to cover and found out that the gasket has also slipped a little making the 1/4" offset look worse than it really is. As I tightened the band I could hear come crackling so I cranked on it just a little bit more. I think I am all set now.. maybe in the spring I will put on a new gasket. 
    Thanks to all that helped. 

Not being a smart-*ss here but just so you know so others here might chime in when you ask for help in the future...the thing you call a "cover" is what is called the dome. A "cover" is a thing you drape over your whole BGE which is comprised of that dome and the thing underneath it sits on which is called the base. BTW the base holds the "fire ring" which sits on top of the "fire box". These terms will help you when you make warranty claims. OK? I'm just trying to help you.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • sjm1027
    Great, thanks for the help. Yes, I agree using the same terms makes it easier for everyone.