Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon & shishito

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,625
Sockeye coated with Jamaican firewalk and mikes hot honey and grilled up with some fresh shishitos.  It was just a little strange grilling direct on the stock grate at the firebox level without any accessories, I guess it's been a while since I pulled everything out.

Comments

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    That looks GREAT!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice plate of vittles!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Tasty! I love shishitos as an app
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That looks much better than it sounds!    
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks delicious!! I could eat salmon 8 days a week! Not familiar with shishitos  but they sound good. I'll look for them, but around here, that'll be a challenge. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Man I would kill that!  Nice no frills cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    @Carolina Q Do look for shishitoes at farmer's markets. They are just a little hot. I blister them on the stove and add a tad of great olive oil and Maldon. In the big city you pay big bucks for them. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Legume
    Options
    High end grocery store may have them, or padron peppers, very similar.  Trader Joe's usually has shishitos in a cello bag.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Beautuful cook. I really love salmon and don't eat it enough.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Best shishitos i have ever had was at momofuku.  What did you put on yours?  Would love to replicate something like that at home. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    jlsm said:
    @Carolina Q Do look for shishitoes at farmer's markets. They are just a little hot. I blister them on the stove and add a tad of great olive oil and Maldon. In the big city you pay big bucks for them. 
    Hahaha, thanks, but where do I find a farmers market? I'm sure there must be one here somewhere, but I don't know of one. Certainly not in my little town. Oh well, maybe habaneros!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    Best shishitos i have ever had was at momofuku.  What did you put on yours?  Would love to replicate something like that at home. 

These were not my best shishitos.  Tried something different this time, but I think I actually need to combine old and new.

Normally, I toss them in a screaming hot wok with some sesame oil to quickly blister them and then toss in a little soy sauce, dash of fish sauce and some dried Thai chile and garlic, finish with a sprinkle of salt.

This time I misted with evoo and grillled, then dusted with a mix I made of ground dried onion, garlic, sesame seeds, nutritional yeast, touch of cayenne and a few other spices.  They were bland.  The spices had the flavor I wanted, but the peppers needed the sesame oil and soy.  I also like how they turn out in the wok better.  Maybe the next round will be what I'm looking for.  Maybe I'll pick up some Bragg aminos and try that too.