Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pesto Crusted Lamb Rack

Options
Aromit
Aromit Posts: 8
Hey guys,

Today I'm going to try these 4 racks of lamb for a new year's party.

I bought a basil spinach pesto, pines nuts and coarse bread crumbs.

I took most fat off of the racks and roasted the pine nuts in an over at 375F for about 40 minutes. They were golden brown. I then ground all the pine nuts to a crumb size, added the bread crumbs and ground down some parmigiano-reggiano and added that as well. The consistency is that of coarse bread crumbs.

Once complete, I applied the pesto to the racks on the meat side only and then pressed the crust on top.

Now this is where I'm going to ask of your opinion. I had in mind a very basic routine
  1. Set the egg for anywhere between 350F and 375F.
  2. Place the lamb racks on the grid with bones interlocked so that they are standing up (as shown in the first picture)
  3. Cook until internal temp is 115F.
  4. Remove from grid and let it rest for about 10 minutes and then cut.
Now, my concerns are the following:

1. Will this method work? or will it burn all the crust by the time the internal temp gets to 115F?
  2. Is there a better, easier method?
  3. I'm positioning the racks in the interlocked way to try and keep the crust away from the direct flame. However, I'm concerned that it will burn too quickly in that area. Maybe it's better to place it bone down?
Looking forward to your comments.

My bother in law is already ahead and making some fine short ribs.

Fresh Lamb Racks - Denuded

Prepared and ready for the egg

Brother in Law's Short Ribs

XL BGE - Cypress table setup. photo ddkrkitty.gif
1.jpg 56.4K
2.jpg 69.9K
3.jpg 52.3K

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    The crust won't burn. Brown maybe. 

Sounds great. a favorite cook, rack of lamb...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sounds great!  Love lamb.  Good luck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    As above, bring it home-just did a couple of racks last Sunday.  I'm guessing you are running raised direct given the crust.  No worries as long as you nail the target finish temp. 
    BTW- welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  Obviously not your first rodeo.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Aromit
    Options
    Hey guys,

Thought I'd update this thread and let you all know how it went. 

We ran it indirect because the egg had just come off of an 8 hours roast (short ribs).

I took it to 350F and left it there until internal temp was 119F.

At 119F it was still kind of rare so I left it some more until 133F. I thought we had overcooked it but it was a pleasant surprise to see it came out fine when we cut it.

Pictures below. The crust came out great as did the consistency. Thanks to all for the advice!

IN THE EGG, PRIOR TO COOKING WITH THERMOCOUPLES FOR INTERNAL TEMP AND GRID TEMP CHECKING.

HOW IT TURNED OUT

Happy new years to you all and here's to a 2017 full of new BGE adventures!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks very nice. I have two racks of lamb I'm saving for a get together with friends. I may steal from this recipe. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Thanks for the follow-up.  Great result right there.  Congrats.  Happy New Year.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Aromit
    Options
    @SciAggie if you need the complete list of things I got and what I did, let me know and I'll post it here.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Aromit Thanks. When I get close to doing the cook I may PM with questions. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Steve76
    Steve76 Posts: 60
    Options
    Can't go wrong with rack of lamb. Lots of ways... I do a simple rub, direct at 400 or so, pull at 135 IT, rest for 10 minutes or so, slice and enjoy!
    Lutz, FL (next to the swamp), LBGE, Pizza stone, Egg Handler, Flame boss 300, Thermapen, Kick Ash basket &  Webber Summit for odds and ends and short, or "honey do", cooks!  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I must've missed this the first and second times around.  Great idea, I will be borrowing this.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You just convinced me to tackle rack of lamb next. That is something I have never done, and to be honest have only eaten it a handful of times in my 44 years. Looks phenomenal!!!!
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Great revival on this thread - those lamb racks are a thing of beauty!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein