Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - anyone into aquariums?

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Anyone have aquariums?  I've totally gotten sucked into this hobby, which turns out to be even more costly than my Egging addiction. 
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    Not personally - but someone in my neighborhood is selling one that looks pretty good. They just posted it on Nextdoor yesterday. I can send you the contact information if you are interested.

Here's what they wrote about it:
    This is a beautiful, custom aquarium. It features a bullet nose on one end, 88 gallon capacity, stands 58" tall, 50" long and 20" wide. We paid over a grand just for the tank and for the price you get the tank, stand, pump, filter (I have an extra Eheim filter that goes with it) all the food, chemicals and the fish. Only thing you have to come catch the fish, drain the tank and take it away. I also have the python faucet connection cleaning system. All this for 300.00. The original fluorescent lighting was upgraded to LED. Included fish are three very large Tinfoil Barbs and two big Pleco's. You won't find a tank like this anywhere. Let me know if you have any questions.

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1973629#Comment_1973629

Take me a look at that thread. There are a few here that know a lot about the hobby. Looking forward to seeing your setup. 
    Snellville, GA

• CPARKTX
    Options
    Thanks for the offer @HoustonEgger, nice tank, but please don't send me the information....I don't need any more temptation!
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    Thanks for the offer @HoustonEgger, nice tank, but please don't send me the information....I don't need any more temptation!
    Ha! Even I was tempted at that price - but then I realized I don't know jack about tanks like that and I'm still unpacking from the move, so priorities. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I had aquariums years ago - both fresh and salt water. They are both interesting. The salt water tanks are the money pit. I had great fun with my freshwater tanks. Once they are established and you get a maintenance routine they are not too bad. When I was in college I had a 50 gallon show tank with brackish water fish. I had a freshwater eel, knife fish and archer fish in that tank. I really enjoyed them. 
    For years I also had a huge Oscar in another 50 gallon breeder tank. He learned to jump out of the water and take food from my hand. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    A freshwater tank won't lead to salt buildup that causes a short and sets your house on fire. Just sayin'. 

We had salt until the fire. It's fresh now. 

But it's my wife's hobby, so I don't know much more than that. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @CPARKTX we have a salt reef tank. Yeah it can be a pain to maintain, but we still enjoy it too much to get rid of. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    Sorry to hear that @Foghorn, our house burned down when I was a child....short circuit in a TV
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Thanks @CPARKTX, because of our smoke alarm we only had a few thousand dollars worth of damage. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I had aquariums years ago - both fresh and salt water. They are both interesting. The salt water tanks are the money pit. I had great fun with my freshwater tanks. Once they are established and you get a maintenance routine they are not too bad. When I was in college I had a 50 gallon show tank with brackish water fish. I had a freshwater eel, knife fish and archer fish in that tank. I really enjoyed them. 
    For years I also had a huge Oscar in another 50 gallon breeder tank. He learned to jump out of the water and take food from my hand. 
    Oscars are like puppies. They'll recognize you and get all excited when they know you are about to feed them.

We had a few in a big tank in our office many years ago that were real gluttons and would eat so many worms that they would sink to the bottom of the tank and just rest there for awhile, often with half a worm poking out of a gill slit.

Had one leap out of the tank to grab a handheld worm but missed the mark and landed on the floor. Picked it up, brushed it off and put it back into the tank. No harm no foul.

Feeder goldfish were another food source for them - the goldfish never had a chance. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I had two...a fresh and a salt. I loved it. Started in college. Great hobby for someone with an obsessive personality. (Ex someone who frequents a green grill forum)

But man I spent some stupid $$$. That was back when my wife and I were DINKs. (Dual income no kids). 

Now my daughter is getting old enough to take care of her own I may get her a little one. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    The first tanks I remember were in my dentists office.  To this day, they make my teeth hurt!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @HeavyG You nailed them exactly. Yeah, mine missed the tank on the return once as well. Same story - dusted him off and put him back. He was fine. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I had several tanks. I raised African cichlids for a while, then South American cichlids. It was a money suck. I gave the hobby up 15 years ago. I just gave away the last of my surplus filtration gear last year. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Had a Pacu in a 55 gal . tank . Fed him dry dog food  and other things ,he grew so big he could hardly turn around in the tank . Had Oscars in another 55 but back when I had them there was a real problem with a disease called Hole in the head lost both to that as they got older,it also was showing up in Discus too(another South American). It was believed that it was passed on from feeding Tubifex worms when fish were young ,something about the dirt that came with the worms . In the early 70's feeder gold fish were cheap couldn't imagine dealing with that now. Coolest fish I ever had were Blue Acaras ,another south American got them to breed . Loved Cichlids ,African or south American ,just a lot of work . Got to crowd a Cichlid tank(no one fish gets excessively picked on)  and that leads to a lot more maintenance. I always bought my fish when they were very young,much cheaper .