Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why do I burn the bottom of my ribs?

Options
Jhp4180
Jhp4180 Posts: 5
I need help. I have been burning the bottom of my ribs. I cook them over indirect heat at 250-300 degrees for 5-5 1/2 hours. 3 hours in a wrap them in foil for a hour. I am not putting rub on the bottom and I pulled the skin off before cooking them. The ribs themselves are tender and taste great but I don't understand why the bottom is getting crispy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    When you say "indirect heat" what does that mean? Platesetter? Something else?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Could also be a rub on the bottom which is high in sugar. 5.5 hours at 250-300 is way longer than I cook mine and with an hour in foil to boot if you. Wrap an hour at those temps you are likely done closer to 3 hours. Just my opinion. 
  • Jhwilkin
    Jhwilkin Posts: 22
    Options
    Too close to the platesetter/stone?
    Concord, NC-LBGE
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Platesetter, legs up, foil balls for air gap on platesetter, drip pan on foil balls, grate on top of platesetter legs with drip pan under grate. Ribs on grate. I don't see how they could burn. Mine have never been more charred on the bottom.
    Here is a picture:

• Jhp4180
    Options
    What is your all's recommendation for cooking? I have a drip pan with water to help with moisture. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    No drip pan with water needed in a BGE. While being a bit long and a higher temp for ribs I think the culprit might be a out ofwhack dome thermometer! Calibrated it lately? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Jhp4180 - welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, despite the rib frustration, have fun.
    I'm with @RRP here-something doesn't fit with your description.  As long as the ribs are indirect (and heat deflector protected) then you should not see any charring/burn on the ribs at all.  Finish line indicator for me is the tooth-pick test. Don't know how you determine the finish-line however, if you get the flavor and texture profile you want then you are fine in that regard.  
    Keep after it-you will get this sorted out.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I cook mine indirect with no foil but I do flip them a few hours in just for a bit then flip them back to finish. Seems to work like a charm for me. 

Little Rock, AR

• Jhp4180
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have had my egg for about 4 years now but I can't seem to master the ribs. Next time I will try to cook less time. I have even tried a rib rack and I still get the same result. The bottoms taste like bacon always. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Jhp4180 said:
    Thanks guys! I have had my egg for about 4 years now but I can't seem to master the ribs. Next time I will try to cook less time. I have even tried a rib rack and I still get the same result. The bottoms taste like bacon always. 
    I have had that problem. Flipping them fixed it. 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Jhp4180 said:
    Cool...so you are a veteran egger, but just the same when was the last time you calibrated your dome thermometer? It still seems to me like that is your probable problem.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Shineristhewiser
    Options
    I cook mine at 270 for 2 hr open then wrap in foil for 2 hr with 50/50 BBQ sauce and apple juice mopping sauce. I wrap them membrane side up.
  • greg70
    greg70 Posts: 6
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'd like to take a stab at it here. like others have said the temp may be a little to high, i cook my between 230 and no higher than 250.  I've learned that when cooking indirect on the egg that any food on the grate that extends pass the area the platesetter is  going to be exposed to higher heat than the food in the cooking area above the platesetter. if this is the case i would try cutting the rack in half to better place on the cooking area.