Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And Another YouTube Rescue

Options
News2u
News2u Posts: 335
edited August 2017 in Off Topic
The wife took her Versa into Nissan to get her Takata Death Bags changed out, whereupon the salesperson pointed out that her upper front motor mount needs replacing, quoting her $208. The photo you’ll see next is a video freeze frame of a YouTube post showing the operation consists of removing two 18mm bolts and screwing them back in with the new mount, a 5 minute job. Just ordered the new one for under 18 bucks on Amazon Prime:
The mount is fully exposed as soon as you raise the hood.
Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    don't trust them anymore find a new place
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Nice!   I love it when you find stuff like that. 

On a bad note for me. . . 

Brought my Ole jeep in for an oil change and asked the mechanic to see why there is a creaking noise when I have a lot of weight in the back or turning into driveways that go up or downhill.  He could not find anything.  I looked for a while trying to see if anything was loose. I bounced on the back end and got nothing. Just before camping a couple weeks back I flipped the back seat down to transport gear.  I could see daylight through the floor right where the leaf spring connects to the undercarriage!   Only a matter of time before the unibody gives way.  Not worth fixing. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • News2u
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Brought my Ole jeep in for an oil change and asked the mechanic to see why there is a creaking noise when I have a lot of weight in the back or turning into driveways that go up or downhill.  He could not find anything.  I looked for a while trying to see if anything was loose. I bounced on the back end and got nothing. Just before camping a couple weeks back I flipped the back seat down to transport gear.  I could see daylight through the floor right where the leaf spring connects to the undercarriage!   Only a matter of time before the unibody gives way.  Not worth fixing. 
    I'll say. What year's that jeep?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    kl8ton said:

What kind of Jeep? XJ? 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    News2u said:
    kl8ton said:

I'll say. What year's that jeep?

@Eggcelsior

It's a Cherokee
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm pretty anti-dealership these days.

Wife was out of town visiting family and had a few engine idle issues in the VW. They charged her, without any input from me BTW, $260 for a quick sensor replacement and then another $240 to clean out the throttle body... I was livid when I found out.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Dealer service is a big profit center.  If not on a warranty I go to an independent.  Obviously if on the road local knowledge is lacking.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited August 2017
    Options

nice!!

When I bought my f-150, I didn't get the codes to unlock the doors with the keypad. The dealership wanted around $100. Found a YouTube video that showed me where to look and find the codes to reset it and reprogram it. Gee, I hate "stealerships".

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    A few years back we were returning from a HOT vacation in AZ in the summer and our a/c went out in New Mexico. I located a Benz dealer in Albuquerque and after paying $35 up front for a diagnosis charge I received an itemized estimate to replace the compressor for $2,600 plus another $900 estimate for parts they were sure would need to be replaced once they got it torn down! I caught my breath and asked if there would be damage driving it clear back to IL and the answer was no since the damage was already done. 

Returned home in two days thru 115 degree desert heat and about died, but we made it.

That week my dealer replaced and repaired it all for right under $1,000 vs. the $3,500 estimate! Good case of buyer beware! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I always go to my local Honda dealer. They always have a deal going for discounts on service and it usually comes out to the same price as independents want. They also do a full synthetic oil change on my accord for $42 and I think the 4Runner is a little over $50 since it takes more oil. Most places estimate based on the hours it says to do a task then the only variable is their hourly charge. I'm sure there are many scam dealerships just like there are independents that are scammers also when it comes down to it you have to use a little sense and maybe a google search. 
  • News2u
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Plutonium said:
    I'm pretty anti-dealership these days.

Wife was out of town visiting family and had a few engine idle issues in the VW. They charged her, without any input from me BTW, $260 for a quick sensor replacement and then another $240 to clean out the throttle body... I was livid when I found out.
    Griffin said:

nice!!

When I bought my f-150, I didn't get the codes to unlock the doors with the keypad. The dealership wanted around $100. Found a YouTube video that showed me where to look and find the codes to reset it and reprogram it. Gee, I hate "stealerships".

We've been on a get-our-airbags replaced kick this year. You know, since there's an estimated 54 million unreplaced Takata airbags still out there. Had mine done in January; my wife just had hers done. Last month my son took his Honda Fit in to do the same. The stealership's salesman wanted to charge him, get this, $60 for a cabin filter. I didn't believe him until he showed me the write-up. It's literally a 10 second job. Ordered his new filter from Amazon for under $5.
    Leave it to the stealership to try to gouge a captive audience that is just trying to avoid a potentially life-threatening situation through no fault its own.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    A few years back we were returning from a HOT vacation in AZ in the summer and our a/c went out in New Mexico. I located a Benz dealer in Albuquerque and after paying $35 up front for a diagnosis charge I received an itemized estimate to replace the compressor for $2,600 plus another $900 estimate for parts they were sure would need to be replaced once they got it torn down! I caught my breath and asked if there would be damage driving it clear back to IL and the answer was no since the damage was already done. 

Returned home in two days thru 115 degree desert heat and about died, but we made it.

That week my dealer replaced and repaired it all for right under $1,000 vs. the $3,500 estimate! Good case of buyer beware! 
    Did you ask for a written quote? 

Not everyone knows this, but there are service books (they are in a computer now) made by the manufacturer where you look up the job and it lists the parts and time.  Regardless of how much time it actually takes (without finding new problems where you would look those up and add to the total time), that amount of time times the service rate per hour plus price of parts is what you pay. 

If you get some BS inflated quote and they cheat on the times or add unnecessary parts, you can bring that to the attention of Mercedes, and they will investigate the dealer if the charges are severe enough, or the dealer has a history of fraudulent activity.
    Options
    PS - the mechanic gets paid based on the book hours for the job, regardless of how long it actually takes.
    Options
    RRP said:

Great save. But, wow, what you went thru! I don't want a broad brush all of the dealerships. Many of them treat you fairly.
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I had one at the Dodge Dealer when I was getting my oil changed. They came out and told me my High Pressure Fuel pump was leaking. I have a Diesel 2500 with the Cummin's. They brought me out an estimate and it read $5250.00 for the pump and $600.00 for the labor. I said well I will think about it. Went online at home and the brand new Bosch pump was $750.00. Took it to a Diesel repair shop and cost me $326.00 for a part above the pump. Been running on that same Fuel pump now for about 9-10 years. These dealers will stick it to you if you let them.
  • Kelso
    Kelso Posts: 79
    Options
    Several years back I took my Cummins Ram in for something or other, IIRC it was a "See Dealer" message on my overhead and it was needing a turbo cleaning and reflash.  I dropped it off in the evening after hours and then called the next day to inquire on progress.  The service rep said they have not looked at it yet but it is likely the spark plugs or wires and will be on my dime.  I dismissed him easily by saying "No, its not gonna be spark plugs", and continued telling him it was going to be a turbo cleaning, etc. and that it should be covered under warranty.  He again stated spark plugs so I then informed him that diesels don't even have spark plugs and not to touch my truck.  I went to the dealership and no one was in the service office so I just fished around for my keys and went out to the lot and left in my truck.  Never did get a call to tell me my truck went missing, LOL.

A few months ago took the same truck in for the A/C blowing intermittanly.  Dealer quoted me $1800 and said pretty much everything will need to be changed out. Laughed at him.  Picked up the truck and took to my trusty independent shop and had the blower motor replaced for $200.

Dealerships are just throwing parts at problems and charging you for it, no troubleshooting whatsoever.
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • News2u
    Options
    GaryLange said:
    I had one at the Dodge Dealer when I was getting my oil changed. They came out and told me my High Pressure Fuel pump was leaking. I have a Diesel 2500 with the Cummin's. They brought me out an estimate and it read $5250.00 for the pump and $600.00 for the labor. I said well I will think about it. Went online at home and the brand new Bosch pump was $750.00. Took it to a Diesel repair shop and cost me $326.00 for a part above the pump. Been running on that same Fuel pump now for about 9-10 years. These dealers will stick it to you if you let them.
    Kelso said:
    Several years back I took my Cummins Ram in for something or other, IIRC it was a "See Dealer" message on my overhead and it was needing a turbo cleaning and reflash.  I dropped it off in the evening after hours and then called the next day to inquire on progress.  The service rep said they have not looked at it yet but it is likely the spark plugs or wires and will be on my dime.  I dismissed him easily by saying "No, its not gonna be spark plugs", and continued telling him it was going to be a turbo cleaning, etc. and that it should be covered under warranty.  He again stated spark plugs so I then informed him that diesels don't even have spark plugs and not to touch my truck.  I went to the dealership and no one was in the service office so I just fished around for my keys and went out to the lot and left in my truck.  Never did get a call to tell me my truck went missing, LOL.

A few months ago took the same truck in for the A/C blowing intermittanly.  Dealer quoted me $1800 and said pretty much everything will need to be changed out. Laughed at him.  Picked up the truck and took to my trusty independent shop and had the blower motor replaced for $200.

Dealerships are just throwing parts at problems and charging you for it, no troubleshooting whatsoever.
    Ain't that the friggin' truth.
  • News2u
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have not used the dealership for my truck in more than 10 years, not since dropping it off shortly after buying it for a tow package to be installed. To this day I'm still too embarrassed to reveal what I was taken for. So for the heavy lifting I have my own mechanic ... a certified auto expert who knows his stuff and charges a very fair price. Even sends me video of what he's doing along with an excellent explanation and of what else he finds along the way.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It's good that you found a reputable mechanic.

Not all dealerships are evil.  Some are.  And (most of) those don't keep their franchise for very long.  I've seen a few lose it around where I live.

I do all my own work.  SWMBO goes to the dealer for warranty items, I rarely own a vehicle that's new enough to be under warranty.  But I started working on motors when I was 14 and never quit.
    Options
    My wife's Honda Odyssey's a.c. quit blowing cold air. Took it to the dealer and was told it was a $1,300 job for a new compressor. I picked it up before they did the work and googled to see what could be the cause. Bought a $9 relay for the ac and it fixed the problem. This was over 2 years ago and we haven't had any issues since.

XL BGE
    MD
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    dsrguns said:
    My wife's Honda Odyssey's a.c. quit blowing cold air. Took it to the dealer and was told it was a $1,300 job for a new compressor. I picked it up before they did the work and googled to see what could be the cause. Bought a $9 relay for the ac and it fixed the problem. This was over 2 years ago and we haven't had any issues since.
    That is grossly fraudulent.  All AC systems have a low and high pressure switch, either of which is broken will prevent the compressor from running.  They also have a compressor clutch relay.  If any of those items where bad, the compressor would never have started running (easily seen) and there's no way they could diagnose the compressor failure.
    Options
    Negative. There were 3 identical relays in the fuse box under the hood. I used the owners manual to determine which one was for the ac. I swapped it with one of the other ones and the ac worked. I then purchased 3 of the same relays and replaced the bad one. I keep 2 spares in the glove box for any future issue's.

XL BGE
    MD
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    "Negative"?
    Options
    Sorry. Been in the heat all day and my mind is....

XL BGE
    MD
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It's ok, man, it's ok.
    Options
    It will be when I get home and dilute all this water I've been drinking. Enjoy your extended vacation.

XL BGE
    MD
  • News2u
    Options

Not all dealerships are evil.  Some are.  And (most of) those don't keep their franchise for very long.  I've seen a few lose it around where I live.

I do all my own work.  SWMBO goes to the dealer for warranty items, I rarely own a vehicle that's new enough to be under warranty.  But I started working on motors when I was 14 and never quit.
    I envy your level of savvy. As I've often said, I know just enough to be dangerous, but it helps fuel a healthy level of skepticism that's triggered every time something smacks of dishonesty.

It's hard to put your finger on it, but you know it when you smell it, or Ron wouldn't have kept driving in 115° desert heat till he got straight answers. He didn't need service manuals to know a screw-job in the making.

And I think that's the take-away. Ask lots of questions, do your research, get 2nd opinions, stay apprehensive and click your YouTube bookmark at the first hint of doubt.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    News2u said:

I envy your level of savvy. As I've often said, I know just enough to be dangerous, but it helps fuel a healthy level of skepticism that's triggered every time something smacks of dishonesty.

It's hard to put your finger on it, but you know it when you smell it, or Ron wouldn't have kept driving in 115° desert heat till he got straight answers. He didn't need service manuals to know a screw-job in the making.

And I think that's the take-away. Ask lots of questions, do your research, get 2nd opinions, stay apprehensive and click your YouTube bookmark at the first hint of doubt.
    Or maybe they didn't want to work on it in the first place. But if the price is right ...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    The good ol gut feel.  Somewhat related to Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart's famous quote: "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["hard-core pornography"], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it,"
    As Friday night deepens.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    My wife's Honda CRV had a vibration we thought might be the tranny last week. We use the dealer to service and it's not needed much in 75K miles. They found a problem with the ABS system, $1100 job and covered it out of warranty by 15K miles and she had a loaner car the whole time. Blew my mind, any of the big 3 US makers would have told us to pony up. We didn't ask or expect any warranty work and they went to bat for us with Honda and covered it on their own. We own Honda and Toyota now for reliability and quality they are known for, this just lets us know we've made the right decision. 
    Jacksonville FL