Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weird but great pizzas (with pics)

Options
TheToast
TheToast Posts: 376
Third go at BGE pizzas. New configuration. I tried the platesetter legs up > Grill > Two fire bricks > Pizza stone arrangement. Naked Whiz recommends that one I think. And I have to say this is THE BEST and only way to do BGE pizzas. 

Previously I would put the stone directly on the grill - fine for 2 pizzas but by the 3rd the bottom gets charred. By the 4th the dough is totally black. 

I cooked 10 pizzas today over 2+ hours, cooked at 300-350c / 570-660f. Pizza stone stayed a great temperature - really good, consistent results. Cooked in about 6 or 8 mins each time. Impressed that the Egg kept to that temp for so long. I filled it up high, almost to the platesetter. Oh yeah, and I also did wings before too. 

I've never had a blue cheese pizza before but sautéed leek, blue cheese and walnut was a hands down winner. Made with a small amount of tomato sauce. 

Sautéed mushrooms with garlic and thyme was also great - made a big difference frying these before putting them on the pizza. Drizzled some truffle oil on too for an extra mushroomy flavour. 

Finally, beetroot, goats cheese and pesto (no tomato), with pickled red onion was also great but split the group! Beets went really sweet (they were the pickled kind). 

Beetroot, pesto, goats cheese, pickled red onions:

Blue cheese, leek, walnut:

Comments

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    You had me until "beets". Everything else looks great!

And what's with the brass knuckles on the Missus?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    Kayak said:

And what's with the brass knuckles on the Missus?
    It's fashion, darling. 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Nice looking pizzas! That's my setup too, after a few different configurations that's the one that does it consistently for me.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• ScarletFire
    Options
    Dude, that was an epic cook! I love blue cheese on pizza, I make one with black olives, red onions, blue cheese and spinach. Thanks for posting.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Sounds great!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Dude!!  Well done.  I use a different setup but same results with the AR and Rig Extender.  High in the dome is key to good pizza.  Thanks for sharing!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    very nice
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA