Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instant pot beef chuck roast? Anyone done one?

Options
GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,365
 Instant pot beef chuck roast? Anyone done one?  I would like to give it a try but I want to make sure that I do it correctly! Some of the articles I read on the Internet say it's delicious, some not so good i'm hoping someone here has tried it and can give me some suggestions 
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I haven't done a pot roast but have done roast pork shoulder. It works well. The gravy may be a bit watery after the pressure cook but I just turn the sauté feature on to reduce and thicken it. If you want more browning on the roast for serving just put it under the broiler for a few minutes(same as doing it in a pot if you never remove the lid).
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I did this last year...and apparently didn't document it anywhere.  It was really good, but like lots of things, you need a pressure-cooker specific recipe or the liquid overwhelms it.  As I recall, seared the roast first, then cooked for a while with some stuff in it, then added things like onions and carrots and finished cooking.  Lots of help, right?  I did try several pressure cooker recipes off serious eats/food lab and they're all good, but quick look and that doesn't seem to be on there.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I frequently do a Mississippi roast in my electric pressure cooker. I always use this recipe:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017937-mississippi-roast

I think it is a little bit better when done in a slow cooker but the pressure cooker is still very good. I go heavy on the pepperoncini and I also double or triple the recipe for the dressing as I like to have extra dressing to use with leftovers to add that fresh bit of tang.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2017
    Options

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I just read the SGH pot roast thread. Do you really submerge the roast in the liquid?   I was thinking a couple inches of fluids?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario