Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Chicken Breasts Question

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just grilled some Italian Dressing Marinated chicken breasts and they were dry. I checked the internal temp up to 185° using my instant read thermometer. The reason I took them to 185° was because another thermometer's instructions said to take chicken to 190°. I could tell it was getting dry after about 155° but followed the "safe chicken" rule. Should I have taken them off at about 155° to 160°?[p]Spring "Cannibal Hector" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I had trouble with chicken breasts drying out so I now cook them at 250-300 indirect and take them off at 165 170 and I find them very moist.
    Cheers
    Howard in Bartow

• GrillMan
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I'm no expert, but I have cooked a lot of chicken breasts and they always turn out great. I do them direct at 325 dome temp. Turn after about 20 minutes and check for doneness in another twenty minutes or so. I tend to go by sight for chicken. When they start to get nicely browned on each side I pull them. Next time I cook a few, I'll stick the Thermopen in and post what I pulled them at. I regard you as one of the "Eggsperts" on this forum and I think your gut was correct. You thought they were getting too well done and they did. Next time pull them when you think they look right and I'm sure they'll be fine.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p] FDA and the USDA has changed the "safe temp" on chicken, but breast meat has always been 165. The change was in the dark meat which can now be 165. It was 190.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    GrillMan,
    Ha! "Expert" huh? Hummmmmm? I didn't even realize I had been a "pert" and now I'm an "ex-pert???" [p]I had to look "pert" up so I would know what it is:[p]"PERT
    An acronym of Program, Evaluation and Review Technique denoting a form of network analysis in which the duration of processes required to complete a complex task or project is used to calculate the range of possible completion times and to aid informed decisions on the scheduling of these processes."[p]Very interesting, and certainly fits this bunch of Eggheads to a T because we have a great Program that includes Evaluation and Reviewing of Techniques via a Network. I like it. From now on I'm tempted to include PERT out beside my handle. But then all of us would want to do it... LOL[p]Thanks[p]Spring "Learn Something Every Day" Chicken, PERT
    Spring Texas USA

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    MR H,
    That's what I should have done.[p]Spring "Should'a Known Better" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Seems to me I read that somewhere. Thanks for reminding me. I suppose I can turn the heat down on my hot tube too.[p]Spring "Several Degrees From Being Done" Chicken

• Yo Spring Chicken, As Celtic Wolf said, the USDA recommendation for the minimum safe temperature for all pieces of chicken as well as whole chicken is 165ºF. The link below will take you to the USDA's recommendations for cooking chicken safely.[p]If you are cooking above 275ºF, you can take the breasts off when they reach 160ºF. The should rise another five degrees after they have been removed from the grate. This should yield a more moist product.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy

[ul][li]Revised USDA recommendations for chicken[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Juggy D Beerman,
    And 160° is exactly when I wanted to pull them. [p]Thanks.[p]Spring "Knew I Was Right All Along" Chicken