Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining Pork ?

Green_Giant
Green_Giant Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please forgive what may be a stupid question. [p]I've brined chicken and turkey with great success, but am wondering if brining has the same effect on pork (or beef) ?[p]Not that a well-cooked pork butt isn't already nice and juicy, but if it can be improved by brining I will try it. [p]Thanks, Dickson

Comments

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    From what I understand, brining is pretty much a poultry thing.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Green_Giant,[p]When I first came across brining, I soaked quite a few different meats. All seemed somewhat improved to me, but that was when I was using a metal grill. With the Egg, I find there isn't as great a need. Meats that are quite lean, but somewhat cartiligenous (sp?), like bison or rabbit, seem to benefit from brining. [p]gdenby
  • Green_Giant,
    Gdenby is correct. I would limit the pork brining to lean loins or fresh hams. We almost aeways brine loins. Enjoy!

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Green_Giant,
    Cook's Illustrated reccommends brining baby backs and thick pork chops. I've tried both and can't say it made a difference. -RP

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Green_Giant,[p]Brining is an often overlooked technique. Some advantages are added moisture, adding flavor to the inside not just the outside, and faster cooking times since moisture conducts heat. [p]You can use home-brining for poultry, pork chops, pork loin & tenderloin, fish and shrimp. When you corn beef, that is a brine of sorts too. Hams can receive a brine treatment by soaking and injecting. [p]The saltier the brine or the smaller the pieces, the shorter the brine time. I only do shrimp about a half hour. Adding spices, sugars etc to a weaker brine has made the term "flavor brining" popular. [p]Experiment with pork and seafood, you might like it.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    I regularly brine loin chops for a couple of hours, and it makes a difference to me. I then T-Rex them. There's a recipe for brined thick porkchops in the BGE users' cookbook.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    thirdeye,
    Alton did a show on shrimp where he brined them before broiling them. It struck me as odd that brining would benefit shrimp being that they came out of seawater anyway. -RP

• thirdeye
    AZRP,[p]It is weird isn't it, but it works. Then again, does the flesh of anything from the sea taste salty? Even little fish like anchovies have a mild flavor before they are cured. [p]Anyway, CI claimes that brining reduces any potential mushiness and gives shrimp a firmer texture. Of course, you only want to brine when you are grilling or frying them, not when you are doing something like a shrimp boil.[p]To imitate that Gulf shrimp flavor I like so well, I use sea salt and rinse them less following brining.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    thirdeye,
    Besides the sea salt what else do you add to the brine for shrimp?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • thirdeye
    Photo Egg,[p]I just use coarse sea salt and water. For small batches I don't measure, just check the taste. I'll bet a 1/4 cup per quart is close for starters. Less salt if you use a fine grind.[p]I'm sure 1/8 cup of brown sugar could deliver some sweetness.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    thirdeye,
    Thanks again for your time.
    Sounds like a plan.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas