Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg restoration project

slovelad
slovelad Posts: 1,742
edited July 2017 in EggHead Forum
this is the project that I am doing for my father in law. 

This is will be a really fun project for me, and I'm going to stretch it out over he next few months and give as a gift for Christmas.

i got the egg and table on Craigslist for $100 (it was handed down to the son who never used it.)

some initial thoughts.

- it was crusty that I had to pry out the fire ring with a flat head

- was going to ditch the table, but it's structurally sound so I'm going to refinish it and possibly add a piece of granite that I have.

- ceramics are in ok shape, they are very dull (any thoughts on how to polish would be appreciated, I want to bring out some shine)

- I added a new Rutland gasket that I was suppose to install on my large egg but never got around to it.

the only issue with the ceramic I noticed this crack On the dome (I have the piece that feel out, so I may just add another Rutland gasket to the top dome for looks, even thought I know its not recommended)

Here re is what I am staring with, after i removed he rusted out lower vent (it's covered with heavy duty oven cleaner)

After a clean burn (and installed a Rutland gasket)

I

Above is a a sample of what I did with the cleaner, this stuff is incredible.

will post more pictures along the way.

*** as a side note, this stuff also does wonders for smokeware cap, which took about 2 minutes***

Comments