Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dedicated BGE for baking?

RandyC
RandyC Posts: 24
i have just finished building my BGE table and have not yet used my BGE. If you use your BGE for baking do you need a dedicated BGE. If not, does the aroma from cooking meat infuse into the baked goods?

thanks

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    edited July 2017
    Not required at all but it's nice. Cooking a loaf right after a brisket would give off a smell though 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    Welcome to the forum by the way. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    if you know you are going to bake bread after a greasy cook, let it burn hotter and longer til the smoke smells clean.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    I cook bread ina Dutch oven twice a week on my egg and have never noticed a smoke flavor. I can not tell the difference between the Egg and the oven.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    If I remember correctly at least one person here has an Egg dedicated to baking - was it @RRP?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Lump quality also plays a big factor into baking
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    HeavyG said:
    If I remember correctly at least one person here has an Egg dedicated to baking - was it @RRP?
    yes, my medium - and despite being 16 years old then having never had meat in it nor wood it is still light tan inside and the OE felt gasket is intact. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I don't think a "never had meat in it" virgin egg that ron is saving for the special day is required.  If you burn off the gunk you can replicate it.  There seems to be an allure to baking bread in the egg.  Although the egg is ceramic, that is the only characteristic it shares with pizza ovens.  A pizza ovens heat does not come from below the item that is being cooked.
  • RRP
    I don't think a "never had meat in it" virgin egg that ron is saving for the special day is required.  If you burn off the gunk you can replicate it.  There seems to be an allure to baking bread in the egg.  Although the egg is ceramic, that is the only characteristic it shares with pizza ovens.  A pizza ovens heat does not come from below the item that is being cooked.
    Oh I agree!!! @HeavyG brought up my name so I replied.

I'm a big advocate of always wrapping my PS in my large egg for instance so I don't have issues from burnt on crud when I bake pizzas in it. I'm sure if I baked bread in my large I wouldn't have issues for that very reason!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Actually, a wood fired pizza oven does provide heat from below the pizza.

Proper wood fired pizza oven operation requires that the deck also be hot/heated prior to dropping in a pie.

Even a gas fired pizza oven like the Blackstone is setup to also heat the rotating pizza stone from underneath. In some cases one needs to take steps to prevent the stone from getting too hot from underneath as the bottom can get scorched before the pie is really finished topside.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    No. I occasionally bake in both the LG & MM. That said I'd tell you if you L&S a brisket or butt and then the next time you bake you'll need to run the existing lump a bit longer to burn off any fat drippings that may have slipped by into the lump or ceramics. Egg on. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cookingdude555
    HeavyG said:
    Actually, a wood fired pizza oven does provide heat from below the pizza.

Proper wood fired pizza oven operation requires that the deck also be hot/heated prior to dropping in a pie.

Even a gas fired pizza oven like the Blackstone is setup to also heat the rotating pizza stone from underneath. In some cases one needs to take steps to prevent the stone from getting too hot from underneath as the bottom can get scorched before the pie is really finished topside.
    Thanks @HeavyG for catching that, I meant that the fire is not coming from below.  It does heat the surface below the pizza, but the fire source is not the same as the egg.  When I cook with my blackstone, the reason it is so much better than cooking pizza on the eggs is that the stone above the pizza is hotter than the stone below.  This is never the case on the egg.  A wood fired oven has this same characteristic.   
  • cookingdude555
    RRP said:
    Oh I agree!!! @HeavyG brought up my name so I replied.

I'm a big advocate of always wrapping my PS in my large egg for instance so I don't have issues from burnt on crud when I bake pizzas in it. I'm sure if I baked bread in my large I wouldn't have issues for that very reason!
    Good tips Ron.  Your comments have made me consider turning a large recently gifted me into a "clean" egg.  It just makes it easier since you dont have to make it clean before attempting to bake bread, or pizza, or otherwise.  Its always ready.
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    I've never noticed cooked meat aromas infused with the cakes and brownies I've baked but the times that I have baked them is after I've either baked a pizza or grilled steaks.
    Reason being is since pizza and steak require high temps to cook my usual routine to bake is to prep the cake/brownies/cobbler right after we finish eating our pizza/steak and by the time I finish prepping the dessert the BGE has cooled down to the desired temperature to bake-which is almost 1 1/2 -  2 hrs after I pull my steaks or pizza out of the BGE.
    But if and when I bake anything let's say after I grill fish or smoke some ribs and I noticed infused flavors, I'll let everyone know :D
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2017
    I would have to think that a dedicated baking egg would be simply a luxury purchase. Do it if you can afford it, and you believe you will get enough use out of it. Just my 2 cents worth. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    I would have to think that a dedicated baking egg would be simply a luxury purchase. Do it if you can afford it and you believe you will get enough use out of it. Just my 2 cents worth. 
    Lol

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    Well used eggs bake just as well. I assure you the flavor on breads be it sourdough, yeast rolls, pizza, pretzels etc or even cookies or cheesecake don't end up tasting like ribs. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    Well used eggs bake just as well. I assure you the flavor on breads be it sourdough, yeast rolls, pizza, pretzels etc or even cookies or cheesecake don't end up tasting like ribs. 

I agree! But that like brand new PS is not what some egger's PS look like! That was my whole point about wrapping a PS to keep it from becoming a "stink tank" of burnt grease etc. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2017
    @RRP When I know the juices will be flowing I always wrap that rascal :wink:
    And that PS is original to my MM. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,011

Is that your setup for baking bread, no air gap between the PS and the baking tray? Also, what is that baking tray, it looks perfect.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2017
    @Stormbringer The above setup was an experiment. PS was preheated and then CI placed (not preheated) directly on top of PS then add steam for first 15-20 minutes and no steam last 15-20. This setup worked but, my current setup works better for both CI ware or baking stone and I felt it yielded better oven spring. Jammed up with work but, I'll do my best to document in a thread for those that are interested. It's taken me many failed and so-so loaves to dial it in on the MM & LG alike. The CI is manufactured by Camp Chef and labeled as a 13" pie pan. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,011
    @Stormbringer The above setup was an experiment. PS was preheated and then CI placed (not preheated) directly on top of PS then add steam for first 15-20 minutes and no steam last 15-20. This setup worked but, my current setup works better for both CI ware or baking stone and I felt it yielded better oven spring. Jammed up with work but, I'll do my best to document in a thread for those that are interested. It's taken me many failed and so-so loaves to dial it in on the MM & LG alike. The CI is manufactured by Camp Chef and labeled as a 13" pie pan. 
    Cheers, looking forward to it. Whilst not a nemesis as such, as I've had good results with bread in the Egg, it doesn't come close to the consistency or quality from the kitchen oven. To be fair, the oven is a top-end Neff oven with bread baking settings, and the smell of freshly baked bread in the house first thing in the morning is wonderful. Nevertheless, it would be great to try to equal this on the Egg. :)
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk