Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to pick up rockwood

Options
Going to be in the Springfield  / Branson area for a few days .
Though I might pick up a trunk full of Rockwood on the way back.
Any recommended places in this area ? Can it be bought cheaper down there ?

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @stlcharcoal should be able to answer any questions as well as their website.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Harter House on Eastgate or Countryside BBQ Supply just north of Bass Pro.  Not sure on the price, but we have to ship to both.  Cheapest will always be here in St. Louis where dealers pick up from our two warehouses or get weekly deliveries on our company trucks.

While you're there, make sure you get a Pineapple Whip from one of the stands around town!  Bass Pro is quite an adventure too.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Harter house might still have some Ozark oak too. That and rock wood are my two favorites 

Go by Leongs and try some Springfield style cashew chicken it's fantastic. I grew up on that stuff 

as for the price I know when I was paying 10 a bag for 10lbs of ozark oak in Lubbock tx my dad was paying 4 or 5 in Springfield 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    llrickman said:
    Harter house might still have some Ozark oak too. That and rock wood are my two favorites 

Nahhhhh, that was 2.5 yrs ago when OO went away.......that's when we started shipping to them.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I was there In June.  And my BIL had picked up a bag. This is why I said they "might". 

Im sure it was an old bag but worked just fine 

To bad I can't find rockwood in Albuquerque 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
    Harter House on Eastgate or Countryside BBQ Supply just north of Bass Pro.  Not sure on the price, but we have to ship to both.  Cheapest will always be here in St. Louis where dealers pick up from our two warehouses or get weekly deliveries on our company trucks.

While you're there, make sure you get a Pineapple Whip from one of the stands around town!  Bass Pro is quite an adventure too.

So what would an average price in St Louis be ?

• fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
    $19.99 + tax seems to be the price I'm seeing. Only saving $.60 a bag over firecraft , and its dropped off at my door. Not hardly worth the effort ?
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    fairchase said:
    $19.99 + tax seems to be the price I'm seeing. Only saving $.60 a bag over firecraft , and its dropped off at my door. Not hardly worth the effort ?
    Order in lots of 3 from Firecraft as their boxes are perfectly setup for a 3 bag order!  If you're planning on < 3 bags of Rockwood, I'd pick them up where you are.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    llrickman said:
    I was there In June.  And my BIL had picked up a bag. This is why I said they "might". 

Im sure it was an old bag but worked just fine 

To bad I can't find rockwood in Albuquerque 
    Give it s few more weeks (or months?) and it will be available through Ace Hardware.  Definitely by the end of the year, but it really should be in the next few weeks.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    As above- firecraft with a 6 bag buy.  Clears the free shipping hurdle and fire craft has designed heavy-duty boxes (at 3 to the box) for the deal.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    Need
    Rockwood
    In
    New England!
    Southwestern CT
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Need
    Rockwood
    In
    New England!
    Any Ace Hardware or any hardware store that sourced from Emory/Jensen (now owned by Ace).  And we have it in several other locations in New England.  Problem is the freight.......it's absolutely ridiculous for us to ship up there.  Where ya at?
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    JustOneOfTheGuys Posts: 142
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Need
    Rockwood
    In
    New England!
    Any Ace Hardware or any hardware store that sourced from Emory/Jensen (now owned by Ace).  And we have it in several other locations in New England.  Problem is the freight.......it's absolutely ridiculous for us to ship up there.  Where ya at?
    I'm in Trumbull, Connecticut.  I'd travel anywhere in the state to pick some up.  I also go to Long Island regularly so going to some where between here and there is also very doable - think The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Westchester, and Nassau counties.
     When I search the Ace Hardware website, there is no mention of Rockwood at all... :|
    Southwestern CT
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I bought six bags from Firecraft a couple weeks ago. Good packaging, three bags per box, and delivered for about $1/lb. 

I can buy Cowboy lump for half that at Costco, around 50¢/lb but I'm always sorry when I buy that brand. Full of rocks and some of it looks like blackened 2x4 pieces, which means they don't mind throwing in a few sawmill ends to every bag. 

You get what you pay for - Rockwood is always solid, neutral flavor. Weekend Warrior is excellent as well. I buy Fogo when it's on sale from Amazon - when it can be delivered for that same $1/lb. 

I recently broke down and burned that last bag of Ozark Oak I was saving, like some kind of shrine in the garage. Sometimes you just gotta let go.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Need
    Rockwood
    In
    New England!
    I'm in Trumbull, Connecticut.  I'd travel anywhere in the state to pick some up.  I also go to Long Island regularly so going to some where between here and there is also very doable - think The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Westchester, and Nassau counties.
     When I search the Ace Hardware website, there is no mention of Rockwood at all... :|

Just go any Ace and order SKU# 8400772......it will show up from the warehouse in a few days with their normal weekly restock:  http://www.acehardware.com/mystore/storeLocator.jsp#06611|30

Also looks like their may be some stores called "Barnum Hardware" in Bridgeport that may be able to order it.  If they get their stuff from the Wilton/Gansevoort warehouse, they should be able to order it using that SKU.

It's not on their website because it's not available nationwide.......but you can find all the details on how to order and the current stores that keep it on the shelf, on our website.   
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    JustOneOfTheGuys Posts: 142
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Well who would have thunk that you can't believe everything one reads on the web.  When I used the find dealer links on your site it only mentioned one store in lower Manhattan, nothing local in CT.  I called a local ACE store and the said that I would have to order it online they couldn't order it for me directly, couldn't even give me a price.   
    Southwestern CT
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Well who would have thunk that you can't believe everything one reads on the web.  When I used the find dealer links on your site it only mentioned one store in lower Manhattan, nothing local in CT.  I called a local ACE store and the said that I would have to order it online they couldn't order it for me directly, couldn't even give me a price.   

Well that location is definitely not "the helpful place".  We had over a hundred special orders last week, of which a dozen were in the New England region.  None of those were ordered through the website.  That store employee or location just didn't want to do it which is unfortunate.

The stores listed on our website are ones that have told us they are stocking it on the shelf.  But ANY Ace east of the Rockies can order it no matter what they tell you.  Happens everyday and I have their payments to prove it. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I checked with my  local Ace hardware and they will order Rockwood for $24.99/bag.  Firecraft sells it for $21.99/bag with free shipping on > $99.  I'm trying to minimize the amount of handling so I might just get it from Ace and see how it looks when I pick it up.  I'm only going to get a few bags to see how it goes.  I'm still looking for alternative sources.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Greedygoat
    Greedygoat Posts: 134
    Options
    Rockwood now $24.95 on Firecraft....
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Deal breaker right there. Will either source locally in quantity at a discount or switch brands. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Greedygoat
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Deal breaker tight there. Will either source locally in quantity at a discount or switch brands. 
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well.  I normally order 6 bags at a time and needed to reload, but the new price made me pause.  Between Costco, Restaurant Depot and Gordon Food Service I'm hoping to find something I'll like.
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    2 miles from my office at the Ace Hardware.  $24.99 - picked up a bag about an hour ago.  Suburban Baltimore.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Greedygoat
    Options
    Just got back from Costco, all they had was cowboy, couldn't pull the trigger. Not that desperate..... yet. 

XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    @stlcharcoal So I stopped in at Barnum Hardware on Saturday and they had no problem ordering Rockwood for me.  I picked up the bag today and I can't wait to try it just as soon as I finish my current bag of lump.  Thanks for for all the info.
    Southwestern CT
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Talked to my local ace dealer (lanier's in Lexington NC) They can't order rockwood but will order kamado joe lump.  They said they had several palletts in stock.  Going tomorrow to pick up a few bags to try out. I hope I like it. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Royal Oak . Been using it a long time ,easy to get ,the price is right and at HD I get the Veterans discount . Used to use Rockwood when I wanted something totally neutral (still have five bags in the shed from Firecraft) but now that price has gone to $24.95 I'm done with it.
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    Just ordered Rockwood from Firecraft to try it. Price is 24.95 and on back order. Of course the back order info came 2 days after order. Probably go back to RO in the future unless Rockwood actually does walk on water.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hey @stlcharcoal, you'll see one bag ordered from the Ace store in West Point, VA earlier this week.  That was me.  Fast turnaround.  Ordered Saturday, in store on Tues. They're a BGE dealer, maybe you can get them to stock it. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Just got back from Costco, all they had was cowboy, couldn't pull the trigger. Not that desperate..... yet. 

I'd rather burn pine cones 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

I'd rather burn pine cones 
    Or tires and kittens. 

Little Rock, AR