Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your favorite salsa?

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
love salsa.  With meals or just snackin' on chips, its my favorite.  Feel free to share your favorite recipes, and what's you're favorite brand when tomatoes are out of season.
During tomato season I make fresh at least once a week, and don't normally follow a set recipe.  I love to fire-roast some of the 'maters on the Egg, leave some fresh, then add fresh green chile, or roasted green chile, red chile, cilantro, fresh garlic, sometimes a flavored vinegar, salt.
Peach salsa is really popular around here in the summer too (despite Alton Brown, Utah grows a lot of excellent peaches just north of here).  Diced peaches, purple onion, garlic, green chiles and cilantro, delicious!  
Outside of tomato season I doctor up a jar of Pace Mild (NewYorkCity?!?!?!).  I pour a small amount into my blender, drop a single chipotle chile with just a bit of adobo, and hit "Liquify".  Scrape down the sides, add the rest of the jar, and hit "Stir" for just a few seconds (I like it a bit chunky).  I even have a cut-off plastic funnel useful to pour the salsa back into its jar.  

I'm also really happy since Tostito's "Bite-sized" chips hit the market; although I'm big and noisy, most normal-sized tortilla chips are too big to put in my mouth comfortably.  Love the "Bite-sized"!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We use the Kirkland brand stuff from Costco.  We love the stuff.  It has a lot of natural sweetness from the tomatoes with a mild heat on the back end.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    This recipe for Texas salsa is so easy, but my wife and daughter say there's no need to make anything else, they like it so much.

1 large tomato, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
    2 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp salt

Combine ingredients and allow to marinate an hour before serving.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    OT - I hate my salsa
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It appears we are going to have more tomatoes than we can eat this summer. What's the verdict on making salsa and freezing it? Good idea or not?

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Make my own. Actually, my wife does the making, I just do the quality control sampling and preparing the peppers (with gloves!!!).  A batch starts with 12-16 jalapenos, a couple of serranos, and at least 1 habanero (depending on mild or hot).  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    dont have my recipe but did 8 quarts of green san marzanos last fall, i like it but only for burgers. 2hot4texas salsa.  i like the chichis with black beans added for the chips

Image result for green tomato salsa fishlessman
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    We have a Mexican restaurant here called Mariachi which I love! They either make or buy a delicious salsa that I can't seem to stop eating. Unlike most all other Mexican restaurants around here Mariachi's salsa is thankfully low in cilantro which I HATE! Besides eating there at least twice a month I always buy quarts of it to have on hand all year long! Guess I'm not the only one since I started buying it a year ago they now have three size containers behind the cashier so people know the sizes available. BTW a quart is just $5.75.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Chilis makes some Kicka$$ salsa
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Thanks @Botch !
    I was thinking of making a thread on this a bit ago when I saw someone using pace picante.  Making salsa couldn't be easier - and there are great recipes.

@Wolfie51sb Salsa does not freeze well, it breaks down the tomato and separates into water and 'stuff'.  Cooked salsa fares better, but both come out watery.  It 'cans' very well.

My favorite fresh salsa is super simple.  We have this in the fridge at all times.  Scale recipe as needed, and it keeps for 2 weeks in the fridge, but will have no kick left.  I usually make it spicy so it still has kick later.  The fresh salsa recipe is the base for all others - once you get the heat ratio where you like it you are golden.

Great for salsa that you put on tacos, eggs, etc.
    Fresh Salsa
    1.  Large tomato
    2. 2-4 small serranos, or 1-2 large
    3. Blend it up.
    4. Salt to taste.  Under-salt it, wait ten minutes, then add more if needed.

If you want a chip/dip salsa..
    Chip Salsa
    1. Do the above
    2. Add chopped cilantro
    3. I don't like adding garlic and onion as it makes it sweet, but some do.
    4. I usually make chip salsa saltier than food salsa.

Roasted salsa:
    1. Do the original above, but
    2. Before you blend ingredients, roast the tomato and serrano on a skittle until the are black on all sides.  More roasted is better on the tomato.
    3. Be extra careful salting warm salsa, it gets saltier as it cools.

Roasted Chip salsa:
    1. I think you get the idea, but I add garlic on this one since roasted garlic is awesome.

Now - my favorite.  I could sell this.  It's fantastic on BBQ, tastes like a savory BBQ sauce (not sweet)

Ancho (Poblano) Chile Salsa

1. Roasted salsa, and add
    2. Roast a seeded ancho (dried poblano) pepper - watch it since it goes fast, don't burn it.  Just get some flavor on it.
    3. I usually add chopped fresh cilantro to this.
    4.  (For the best chip salsa, add more salt)
    5. Yum

In general:
    1. I like keeping the salsa simple, personal taste but how my in-laws taught me.  If I want cilantro or onion on my taco, I'll add fresh cilantro or freshly diced onion on my taco.  Most meals are served deconstructed - tortillas, meat, chopped condiments, basic salsa or 2.
    2.  It's easy to over-salt, and it cannot be undone for some magical reason.  You can't add another tomato, it's just ruined.

PS - Here's the best guac recipe.  It's funny how many folks ask the secret:

Best Guac ever:
    1. Fresh/ripe that day avocado.
    2. Smash with a fork
    3. Add salt until you can taste it.. mix well, take it slow, and you'll notice the 'turn'.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I like the Sam's Club Salsa with Cilantro as far as eating with chips.. To lazy to make my own.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Botch
    Options
    The mormons can a lot of salsa, and come summer's end my co-workers are always bringing in their family's recipe, delicious!  I've never canned before but its on my bucket list for retirement in a couple years.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Local Kroger carries this.

Image result for FROG RANCH SALSA
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    My wife makes a mango black bean salsa that's phenomenal.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Publix has great salsa 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Chilis makes some Kicka$$ salsa
    slovelad said:
    Publix has great salsa 
    and you two must have very low standards for salsa...  Just sayin'

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Mines way better. Just give mea call. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

Okay, Kroger sells it, is it any good? Or is this purchased just for the label?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    My favorite.  Very flavorful.  Doesn't taste store bought.

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    Love homemade roasted salsa and tomatillo/cilantro/avocado salsa.  For bought, Mateo's is my favorite and the 505 Hatch Green Chile salsa is fantastic, but I use that more for cooking - crock pot full of pork smothered in that is a little bit of heaven in the winter.

• thetrim
    Options
    Chili's salsa is amazing!
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We make it ourselves. I prefer chunky and am partial to a pico de gallo style salsa. Not a huge fan of runny salsa. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Chili's salsa is amazing!
    Have you tried their baby back ribs?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    Options
    Or their fajitas!!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm in the make your own camp for salsa and chips, everything else too but, I grew up on Pedro Lopez Hot thanks to my Dad getting it at our tortilleria on Hero Street in Silvis, IL.

Thick, hearty, more of a medium IMO, perfect for tacos.  Great store bought option.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Botch
    Options
    Hub said:
    My favorite.  Very flavorful.  Doesn't taste store bought.

I've read many good things about GMG, it's not available around here.  

• saluki2007
    Options

Okay, Kroger sells it, is it any good? Or is this purchased just for the label?
    @berndcrisp It is not as good as home made, but when in a pinch it doesn't suck. Best grocery store bought I've had. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    Options
    Also @berndcrisp they make pickels but I didn't care for those. Not enough crunch for me. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The best salsa is that stuff that's made in....NEW YORK CITY?!
    My wife and kids love 

Little Rock, AR