Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Can You Use A Pan on a Blackstone?

Options
Short Answer. Yes. 

Full question. Any long term effects or issues?

My BS always has a little crud on it and it doesn't sit on even ground. For most things, no issue. For scrambled eggs....very uncool. 

Today I thought, "What's the worst thing that could happen?" (Often a not too well thought out question)

So I tossed an old funky pan from the house on my BS, let it get hot with some oil, and tossed in my eggs. 

Heat transferred pretty well, no appearance of damage/coating on BS, etc. 

I thought about half way through I should have just used a CI. 

Anyone had any long term experience with this?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2017
    Options
    In reasturants, they often have Butter, sauces etc on the griddle....in space without a lit burner undernieth. This allows the Pan to leverage the heat from the other parts of the griddle top. Mostly stainless steel pans...and sometimes will also sit on a low rack. Point is, heating something or keeping something warm is a standard practice for a griddle continuously on.  My guess however, the makeup of vessel you place on it might be impacted by high heat. I would suggest a cast iron stainless or other molecular makeup that is single material (not a teflan coated pan for example), would be fine even at high heat. I ain't no scientist mine ya, but seams to be a common sense response (in other words no warrantee implied or excplicit.) Ha....I would also consider the surface type of your griddle. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • BulletGrillHouse
    Options
    Used a small CI last weekend to hold some melted butter in the corner of the Blackstone, worked great.
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    As you now know using a pan on a flattop works ok. However, it doesn't work so well if you want to set a pot with a couple inches of oil on top to deep fry. The Blackstone just doesn't have the horsepower to get the oil back up to temp quickly enough (for me anyway).

I guess if one is in no hurry it might work out but it was too slow for me so I won't be doing that again - I'll continue using the portable induction burner.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @northGAcock the teflon was where I went "hmm...this may be a stupid call". My wife and i got a bunch when we got married. For Christmas we are switching everything to stainless. And I have a ton of CI from grandparents and great grandparents. 

@HeavyG no worries on that. Just scored me a little fryer. No more yanking the Bass Pro burner outside anymore. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Sure you can use a pan on a griddle surface. I have used SS containers for melted butter or warming syrup on breakfast cooks. And have had a pot of hot dog chili at the ready when I did dogs for a charity car wash event. A flat bottom is necessary for good heat transfer. Temp control is not great. The chili I had to keep moving from the surface to the corner rails to keep it from boiling/burning.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    I think the bigger question is....   Can you boil water on a Blackstone ??
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My buddy Randy who cooks the gumbo at Brisket Camp had done gumbo on a griddle many times.  He used to cater at KCBS.  And he made the trophies in his wood shop, but not using the griddle.
    Options
    @northGAcock the teflon was where I went "hmm...this may be a stupid call". My wife and i got a bunch when we got married. For Christmas we are switching everything to stainless. And I have a ton of CI from grandparents and great grandparents. 

A time or two no prob...just think it might not be sustainable...but I could be way off. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    edited July 2017
    Options
    it would be no different than cooking on a French top ( minus the temperature gradations) or induction burner. Yes, you'll likely have to clean the bottom of the pan more often if you also cook directly on the griddle top. 

By the way, I cook this way but over copper plates on my stove all the time.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I think the bigger question is....   Can you boil water on a Blackstone ??
    I knew that question was coming!  =)
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    There is a U tube chef, Robert Roy who cooks with a pan on the BS while he grills the meat and stuff right next to it. He makes up the sauce etc and then drops the grilddled meat and veggies into it. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.