Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron or standard grid which works best

Timba
Timba Posts: 34
edited July 2017 in Forum Feedback
After 4 years of wanting a LG BGE I finally got it. My question is what are the advantages and disadvantages to using a cast iron grid to standard grids? Thank you in advance for your replies

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the advantage to the cast iron is searing at lower temps, the standard grate sears fine over 700 degree dome, the castiron sears well around 600. i stopped using the cast iron years ago, if you want to sear with cast iron add a lodge skillet.  theres more uses for a skillet in an egg. there are those that like the ci grid though.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nestegg
    Nestegg Posts: 2
    I just started with the egg also.  If you do more grilling, ie steaks, burgers, etc the cast iron is better since it holds heat and sears better. The cast iron rusts so you have to keep it oiled. Try the reverse sear method for steaks and you'll be pleasantly surprised. 
  • Timba
    Thank you all again!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I'd just stick with the standard grid.  The CI grid is nice, but you do have to stay on top of cleaning and maintenance.  LIke Fish said, get you some Lodge pans.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the other thing with the ci grid is they eventually crack and break, ive broke two. save your money, buy the pan, and more importantly find a way to raise the grid up to or above the gasket for direct cooking over the flames. you can make your own setup or buy a woo or adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store online. big improvement for cooking in an egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • LindenEmry
    LindenEmry Posts: 48
    I like using both the cast iron and regular grids.  The cast iron does take a bit more maintenance, but it does make things pretty when I'm cooking for my friends and guests.  And Fish was right on target with the sear temps; CI picks up the heat faster.

If you are going for cast iron pans, definitely go with Lodge.  They are the best. 
    In cooking you have to have a what-the-hell attitude. The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.   ~Julia Child

LBGE, 22" Traeger, and a  FireDisc deep in the heart of Texas

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I like large diameter Stainless Steel cooking grids. Never rusts or cracks!!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I bought a CI grid when I bought my egg. Just because I had always wanted one. Used it exclusively for about 4 years. One day I decided to try the stock grate and I haven't used the CI since. Not even once. 

I went thru two warranty replacements (cracking, notorious). I've never used the third one. Still in the bag. 

Yes it rusts, but if you let the crud accumulate, you never see it. 

I would not buy again. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Some people like cast iron cooking grids, others do not.  I do not find any advantage to using a cast iron cooking grid.  For searing, a solid piece of cast iron (pan or griddle) works much better than a CI grid.  Maintenance of a SS grid is easier.  Some people like the looks of grill marks, which CI grids are good at producing.  However, grill marks leave a lot of flavor behind.  A solid browned crust has much more flavor than a few marks surrounded by gray over cooked over dry meat.  Some cooks go for pretty, some go for flavor - I will give up a bit of pretty for more flavor.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Timba
    Thank you all. I was planning on getting a woo! 
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I agree with @fishlessman and @CarolinaQ on the cast iron skillet for searing. I bought a 13 inch cast iron grid to use on the CGS spider to sear steaks. Used it twice and now use cast iron pan for that. I would put the grid next to my platesetter as the worst purchases I have made as far as usage goes.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Some guys will get one of these for their Egg.  Or just a standard CI pan.  

Bayou Classic 7414 14" Round Cast Iron Reversible Griddle - http://amzn.to/2tW2wPm

Or 

Lodge P14P3 Seasoned Cast Iron Baking and Pizza Pan, 14 Inch - http://amzn.to/2sucuCZ

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • MikeInTO
    MikeInTO Posts: 23
    I'm really loving that large diameter stainless grid. Can't seem to find one for the xl with a Google search. Has anybody purchased one? 

I assume they're easy to manufacture but I don't have the know how and am guessing it'd be expensive to get someone to create a one-off. Thanks! 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I use a cast iron grate on my large and a "normal" grill on my MM.  The cast iron is NOT a maintenance issue if it's used regularly!  Mine on my large is probably 9 years old and I have not had any issues.  I use my grills at least 4-7 days a week year round.

For grill marks... nothing better than cast iron (well if you don't consider the grill plate :) )

Is it a requirement for better cooking... NOPE... just nice to have.  Regular grate works perfectly fine!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Hotch
    edited July 2017
    MikeInTO said:
    I'm really loving that large diameter stainless grid. Can't seem to find one for the xl with a Google search. Has anybody purchased one? 

I assume they're easy to manufacture but I don't have the know how and am guessing it'd be expensive to get someone to create a one-off. Thanks! 
    @MikeInTO Give Michael a call. He does great work. I had him make a few custom grids for MiniMAX and a BGE Medium. I bought my large from Hi Que.

http://michaelscustomgrillworks.com/index.html

Here is a post with some of his work:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1202565/xl-steel-grill-grates-arrived

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • MikeInTO
    MikeInTO Posts: 23
    @Hotch Thank you! Love it and am definitely ordering! 
  • Hotch
    MikeInTO said:
    @Hotch Thank you! Love it and am definitely ordering! 
    You're welcome
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I've got CI grids in all the eggs. Only had one break a few years ago (warranty replaced).  I've never used the stock grids. I also use CI skillets on a regular basis. 
    The P14P3 fits the large in the direct and indirect application with no need to chop either of the handles. I've had mine several years now. It's not my favorite pan but, it's definitely in the regular rotation. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What matters more than if it's CI, steel or stainless is the mass of the grate.  Typically the CI has much more mass than your typical steel or SS grate.  More mass holds more heat, the specific heat of the material will make a difference (one better than the other) if they're close in mass.

That said, heavy SS, although it's super expensive, is pretty much the best grate - doesn't rust, doesn't crack.

CI is totally fine, just that it needs more TLC.
    CI grid on bge sees such infrequent use that it gets a nice rusty coating

My Lodge Double Dutch oven lid and pan see so much use that they barely cool off when called upon to sear, bake, roast or whatever else a DOncan do in a green egg or on the stove....